NE Route to Main Summit

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.87170°N / 120.8255°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Note: I've got to believe this is the quickest way to the Main Summit of Dirtyface Peak. The traverse from the lookout summit looks more technical and just as long (though more elevation gain would be on trail).

Take Chiwawa River Road (FR-62). Turn left at the second road past Fish Lake (FR-6300). Take this road all the way to a gate about 2 miles ENE of the Main Summit (Dirtyface Peak).

Hike or bike the road for about two miles to the 2,900-ft pass immediately SE of Twin Lakes (about 2 miles north of Dirtyface Peak). The last hundred yards to the pass are not on road but trail. This is where the route begins.

Route Description


From the 2,900-ft pass, bear south or SW through minor brush to heavy timber. Climb obliquely left (south) through the timber until you come to an old road (c. 3,100 ft). With sticks, make an arrow or some other marker to tell you where to leave the road on the return.

Hike the road left (SE). Gets very brushy for a few stretches but is otherwise negotiable. At some point the road will pass through a clearcut area thence through an uncut area. Leave the road at the timbered slope past the first major clearcut area. Watch out for devil's club jungles!

Climb up the timbered slope (mostly open) until another old logging road is encountered. Again, mark the spot where you came to the road to retrace your steps later. Again, go left (SE). Hike the road through open and brushy sections until it again goes into a timbered slope. Leave the road for the timber, bearing SW.

The timbered slope is steep and dry. In summer do not expect water that won't need purifying. Hopefully, with these directions, you will eventually come up to Pt. 5634 immediately north of Dirtyface Peak. Arc around the basin between the point and the peak, aiming for the final NW Ridge of Dirtyface.

Scramble up the ridge to the summit. Some rock outcrops but mostly sub-alpine timber and steep heather/vegetation.

Descent: Return the same way.

Time up: 3.5 hours from the 2,900-ft saddle by Twin Lakes.
Time down: 2.0 hours.
The road from the gate to the pass will take either 20 minutes or most of an hour to hike depending on your mode of transportation: bike or foot.

Essential Gear


Ice Axe in early season
Bike for road from gate to pass
Bug spray
Water filter or ample water in summer

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.