Normal via ampitheatre

Normal via ampitheatre

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 51.22581°N / 115.56656°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From Banff follow the road that leads up to the Mount Norquay Ski Area. Park where the signs tell you to. The trail to Cascade Ampitheatre begins just past the lodge to the right of the road/ski run. It is a well signed but seamingly endless 7km trail in the forest. Below is the view once you have reached the Amphitheatre.

Route Description

Once you have reached the Amphitheatre turn left where the trail forks. Follow the trail up and gain the ridge up to the right as seen from the Ampitheatre. Once you get to the top of this first part angle agound the right and follow the least line of resistance. When you reach the false summit keep right and go around it. The image below is looking back at the false summit once it has been bypassed. You can see that if you had continued up to the top of it you would be forced into some interesting downclimbing or forced to backtrack back to where you started and around to the right.

From this point the view to the real summit is unobstructed and the route is easy to follow.

Essential Gear

Be aware of the weather conditions. While normal hiking shoes will do on a pleasent day. The slopes can ice up in bad weather. There are a couple of spots that still have snow in them in June, cross them with caution. Dress for the mountains. Have warm clothes, wind or rain gear handy should the weather turn for the worst.
Below the summit cairn.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.