North Buttress - East Couloir

North Buttress - East Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.26050°N / 116.2098°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2/3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the Getting There section to reach Twin Lakes Basin. In this basin the trail will go directly to Upper Twin Lake and then continue south to Hard Butte Lake. The trail will continue to the southeast corner of the lake where it ends at the base of the north buttress of Hard Butte.

Route Description


From the southeast corner of the lake look southeast or up and to the left to see an obvious chute that spills from the top of the buttress to the talus in front of you (there is a larger more pronounced chute to the right of where the trail ends that is different route). Climb the talus to the chute and then ascend it to the top where there is a forest of twisted and stunted trees on a much gentler slope. Continue straight up to the open basin above. Here a faint east to west trail will soon appear. This trail can be followed to the top or if it is snow covered and hard to follow just turn right (west) to the main ridgeline. The ridge can be followed south to the summit, but it is very irregular and rugged so a better way is to side hill on the talus just below the solid rock.

Essential Gear


Good hiking boots are all that is required. An ice axe and crampons are recommended for a spring or early summer attempt when snow will be present.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.