North-East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.69800°N / 110.979°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike-scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

The most popular trailhead for those climbing the peak is the one at Crystal Lake. Crystal Lake is reached from the the Trial Lake spur road off Highway 150 25.7 miles east and north of Kamas. Follow the signs along the spur road to Crystal Lake. This gravel road is good for all vehicles.

Blue = Watson Pass and the...Red = Northwest Ridge from Clyde Lake.



Route Description

From the trailhead, take the trail heading north posted for Wall Lake. Beautiful Wall Lake is reached after a mile along the trail. Wall Lake is one of the largest and deepest lakes in the Uinta Mountains. From Wall Lake, the trail switchbacks up to tiny Hope Lake. Excellent views of Notch Mountain, Bald Mountain, and Mount Watson are found along this section of trail. From here the trail heads northwest to near Twin Lakes and then the main trail climbs to The Notch (pass). Don't take the main trail up to the pass. A hiker made trail (marked with a cairn at the junction)heads from near Twin Lakes and heads west and eventually follows the north shore of Clyde Lake.

Mount Watson is climbed from its north-east ridge from Clyde Lake. A steep ascent with some boulder-hopping and scrambling brings you to the summit. The views are well worth the effort. Countless lakes, basins, and peaks are seen from the summit.

The one way distance to the summit from the trailhead is just under four miles, with about 1700 feet altitude gain.

Various lakes from near...Various lakes from near summit of Mt. Watson.


Essential Gear

A good pair of hiking boots will suffice in the summer season. Fishing enthusiast will want to bring a pole and fish some of the many lakes surrounding the peak.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.