North Face Far Away Mountain

North Face Far Away Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.04579°N / 113.6253°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: Rotten Mank!
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

First ascentionist Rick Baugher says in Idaho a Climbing Guide that “this is possibly the hardest peak in the range to reach” The round trip covers over 16 miles in the dry creek drainage.
So far there isn't an SP. page for peak 11,930' AKA, Far Away Mountain.

The standard route established by Baugher ascends the peak from its east facing side. The North West Face requires a steep scramble up loose scree slopes and a long traverse under rotten cliff bands.

Getting There

Dry Creek Near the THDry Creek Trail Head. the snow covered peak in the distance is Lost River Peak.



From Leslie, turn east off of U.S. highway 93 at the BLM Pass Creek sign. Continue 12.3 miles past the pass creek summit and turn left onto the Dry Creek canal road. (44.16223N 113.36994W) Follow Dry Creek for about 11.5 miles to the Dry Creek dam. Some tricky driving in a high clearance vehicle will take you to the Long Lost Canyon, Dry Creek fork. Follow Dry creek for about .5 miles to the trail head. (Many find it easier to park at the dam and hike the mile + to the trail head.) Hike into the left (center fork) of Dry Creek at the large meadow that splits Dry creek. Continue 1.6 miles to the North West face of Far Away Mountain. (note, this is the same canyon for the North east ridge route of Lost River Peak.)

Route Description

North West face RouteNorth East Face route.

From the face follow any of the obvious snow lines toward the summit. My intended route was an over zealous Drettissima straight to the top. However, the photo shows which way the mountain let me up.
From the spring at 9,000’ start up the center most gully. Climb to about 10,500’ and push thru the 50ish degree chimney, continue up and over several small rock steps to large cliff bands. From there angle left and up to the ridge.

My Expert Opinion!

Only an idiot would climb this route. In my opinion, a direct line to the top is a beautiful thing and a possibility on this face. If I were to try it again I’d bring, fellow idiot plus a rope, pitons etc. and give it a real try.

Rick Was HereRick Was Here!
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.