Idaho Eleveners

Idaho, United States, North America
Page Type Page Type: List
Sign the Climber's Log
Devils Bedstead East from the...Devils Bedstead East




Browse Idaho Elevener pages on SummitPost:  By Elevation | Newest Submissions | Most Popular

Overview

Idaho mountains that rise higher than 11,000 feet above sea level are spread throughout seven mountain ranges in the south-central part of the state. With the Sawtooth Range to the west, and the Greater Yellowstone area just to the east, these ranges have been largely overlooked by the crowds.  Just north of the area lies the Frank Church - River of No Return Wilderness Area, but most of these high peaks are largely unprotected.
Mount McCaleb catches the...McCaleb


Some of these summits are unclimbed, and most have only been climbed a handful of times.  No one has yet claimed to have summited them all.  Most of these peaks are rugged and provide a challenging ascent on even their least difficult routes. Anyone looking for a great alpine wilderness experience will easily find it on any of these peaks.

This page is meant to bring together the mountain pages that have been created on Summitpost.  Only a small part of all of the Idaho Eleveners has had a mountain page created and submitted to Summitpost.  To see a complete list of these peaks, including those that have not been posted here, see the Idaho's Highest Peaks page.


Getting There

Lemhi Sage GrouseLemhi Range
The region and mountain ranges are bounded by ID-75 on the west and north,which provides access to the Pioneers, Boulders, and White Clouds. US-93 follows the western base of the Lost River Range, and also provides access to the White Knobs and Pioneers.  ID-28 runs between the Lemhi and Beaverhead Ranges.  Mostly unpaved but important access roads are Trail Creek Road and the Little Lost River Highway.

Gateway communities include:

More services are available in Twin Falls and Idaho Falls, a bit further from the peaks, but one will probably pass through these cities en route to the region.

Eastern Ranges

The Lost River FrontLost River Range
Long and parallel fault-block ranges, these high mountains lie in the rain shadow of ranges to the west.  They have a semi-arid climate that creates a long summer climbing season.  Many obscure yet spectacular areas are found in these ranges.


"Idaho's Lost River Range, it's probably the most spectacular unknown range in the lower 48.  No one in Wisconsin,or pick a state, has heard of them. For that matter, many people in Idaho have not heard of them."

- Doug Lorain, guidebook author from Oregon
Cobb Peak IceDuncan Ridge from Cobb Peak

Pioneer CorePioneer Mountains

Western Ranges

Summit PanoramaWhite Clouds
Only separated by narrow river drainages, these ranges provide an almost impenetrable mountain wall from the Snake River Plain to Stanley Basin.  Some of the more well known Eleveners are located in these ranges, including Old Hyndman Peak and Castle Peak.



This is the beautiful high...The Boulder Mountains

Big Boulder Lakes11,272 of the White Clouds

Conditions

[img:106426:alignleft:small:The Boulder Mountains]

Here are a few resources:

Webcam from Bald Mountain, Sun Valley Ski Resort
Current Modeled Snowdepth

Forecasts:
Ketchum - NOAA - Weather.com
Stanley - NOAA - Weather.com
Mackay - NOAA - Weather.com

Management

The following websites can direct you to more information on rules, regulations, conditions, and camping areas.

National Forests:

[img:182095:alignright:medium:11,272 of the White Clouds]
Salmon-Challis National Forest
Lost River Ranger District
Leadore Ranger District

Sawtooth National Forest
Sawtooth National Recreation Area
Ketchum Ranger District

Caribou-Targhee National Forest
Dubois Ranger District

BLM Offices:


Shoshone Field Office
Upper Snake Office
Challis Office
Salmon Field Office

More Information


Idaho: A Climbing Guide by Tom Lopez is a great resources for climbing in Idaho. There are many route and approach descriptions for nearly all of these peaks.

Idahosummits.com - A personal page that has trip reports for many of the Idaho Eleveners.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
idahomtnhigh

idahomtnhigh - Aug 3, 2014 11:56 pm - Hasn't voted

4 Finishers

There have been four people complete this list to date. More info can be found on http://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/missing-eleveners-new-routes-judi-steciak-carl-hamke/

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Geography