North Ridge from Mesa South Trailhead

North Ridge from Mesa South Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.93430°N / 105.2884°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Shirttail Peak from the top of the Old Mesa TrailShirttail Peak (right of center) from the top of the Old Mesa Trail.

This route allows one to climb to the summit of Shirttail Peak from the Mesa South Trailhead.

This is not the shortest route to the summit of Shirttail Peak. For example, the North Ridge from Eldorado Canyon Trailhead route is shorter. However, the route from Eldorado Canyon Trailhead requires some class 3 scrambling and the route from the Mesa South Trailhead requires only a class 2 section.

This route is likely the easiest route to the summit of Shirttail Peak from a public trailhead.

Getting There

Start at Mesa South Trailhead.

Route Description

Stats: Class 2, 5.1 miles (round trip), 2500 feet of elevation gain.
Mesa South Trailhead

From the trailhead (image left), follow the Mesa Trail to the Homestead Trail which branches left off of the Mesa Trail approximately 0.1 miles after leaving the trailhead. Follow the Homestead Trail west-northwest. After 0.9 miles the Homestead Trail merges with the Towhee Trail. Continue heading west on the Towhee Trail. After 0.2 miles the Towhee Trail merges with a segment of the Mesa Trail.
Where the Old Mesa Trail leaves the Mesa Trail

Continue heading west on the Mesa Trail for 0.3 miles until an unmarked trail branches off of the Mesa Trail heading south (image left). This trail is called the Old Mesa Trail. Follow the Old Mesa Trail south.
Shirttail Peak from the top of the Old Mesa Trail

Shortly after heading south on the Old Mesa Trail, the trail will break out of the trees into nice grassland. Shirttail Peak can be seen to the southwest (image left).
Shirttail Peak from the Old Mesa Trail

From here the trail continues to the south downhill. Follow the Old Mesa Trail south for a total of 0.5 miles to where you can leave the trail and head west up a gully that is immediately north of Shirttail Peak. This gully can be seen in the center of the image to the left. Bushwhack up this gully to its terminus near the top of the ridge. From here head southeast to the summit of Shirttail Peak. Reaching the summit requires a few class 2+ moves.



Trail Profile and Map

The trail color represents the class of that portion of the trail.
Green = Class 1
Blue = Class 2

Trail Profile

The vertical unit is feet, and the horizontal unit is miles.
Trail Profile of Mesa South Trailhead to Shirttail Peak via the North Ridge Route


Map
North Ridge of Shirttail Peak from Mesa South TrailheadNorth Ridge from Mesa South Trailhead.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.