North Ridge from Eldorado Canyon Trailhead

North Ridge from Eldorado Canyon Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.93430°N / 105.2884°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Shirttail PeakShirttail Peak from the Eldorado Canyon Trail.

This route allows one to climb to the summit of Shirttail Peak from the Eldorado Canyon Trail.

This is not the easiest route to the summit of Shirttail Peak. For example, the North Ridge from Mesa South Trailhead route is easier (class 2).

This route is likely the shorttest route to the summit of Shirttail Peak from a public trailhead.

Getting There

Start at Eldorado Canyon Trailhead.

Route Description

Stats: Class 3, 1.7 miles (round trip), 1300 feet of elevation gain.
Rincon Cutoff Trail

From the trailhead, follow the Eldorado Canyon Trail past the switchbacks until you reach the sign for the Rincon Cutoff Trail. Take the Rincon Cutoff Trail. Once on the Rincon Cutoff Trail, look for a faint trail that leaves the Rincon Cutoff Trail to the left (about 500 feet or so up the Rincon Cutoff Trail, at a point where the Rincon Cutoff Trail starts to head downhill). Follow this new trail a short distance to a boulderfield, then head up the boulderfield to the saddle on the ridge between the Cadillac Crag and Rincon Wall.
Class 3 area of North Ridge Route of Shirttail Peak

From the saddle, traverse south below the ridge until you get an opportunity to perform some class 3 moves to get onto the ridge proper.
View to the north from the top of the ridge

This is what you'll see to the north if you climb to the top of the ridge at the point shown above. Shirttail Peak is southeast from here.
The summit of Shirttail Peak from the North Ridge Route

Scramble south along the east side the ridge until you find an opportunity to get off the ridge and head toward Shirttail Peak. Reaching the summit of Shirttail Peak requires a few class 2+ moves.

Trail Profile and Map

The trail color represents the class of that portion of the trail.

Green = Class 1
Blue = Class 2
Purple = Class 3

Trail Profile

The vertical unit is feet, and the horizontal unit is miles.
Trail Profile of Eldorado Canyon Trailhead to Shirttail Peak via the North Ridge Route


Map
North Ridge of Shirttail Peak from Eldorado Canyon THNorth Ridge from Eldorado Canyon TH.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.