North Ridge Variation

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.33250°N / 121.8372°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 4th Class
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Approach as standard North Ridge Route.

Route Description


When facing Mt. Washington's summit pinnacle from the saddle there are two ramps. The first moves up and left and is very fractured. To gain this ramp you must scramble up 5 ft. from the saddle and you will see the low angle left leaning ramp.

The second ramp, the standard North Ridge Route, is further up and is a less broken ramp and may be gained by moving 30 ft. to the right then up. You will see a fairly nice ramp with a block at the top.

This variation is up the first very broken ramp. Move up 5 ft from the saddle to this ramp. Move left around the corner of the saddle. Here you will see a lower angle slab easily climbed up and right. You will find 4th class scrambling all the way to the summit.

Essential Gear


Don't hesitate to setup a fixed line for this route. Although the climbing is easy one slip and you may find yourself at the bottom of the eastern slope.

Descent


Descend as you would for the North Ridge Route
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.