North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.66300°N / 107.727°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This approach starts at Andrews Lake. Located a few miles south of Molas Pass or about 12 miles south of Silverton, Colorado. From Andrews Lake, follow the very nice trail south for about 5 miles to Crater Lake. This is the start of the climb. Crater Lake has some nice places to camp, if you want to turn the trip into a backpack.


Route Description


To summit by this route you are going to go over North Twilight Peak, actually two in one. From Crater Lake a faint climbers trail ascends the northeast shoulder of North Twilight to the east ridge, which is a relatively moderate hike to the summit. From the summit of North Twilight, descend to the saddle between you and the summit of Twilight Peak. From the saddle it is only 400 vertical feet to the summit, however, this final strench is the crux of the climb. Climb Twilight's north ridge all the way to the summit. Take care in your route finding and the difficulty should not exceed class 3. Descend back over the summit of North Twilight and down to Crater Lake.

Essential Gear


During the summer months no special gear is required. Come ready for a long day, if planning a day ascent. During Winter and Spring months, an ice axe and maybe some crampons would certainly help. A pair of skis or a snowboard could be nice as well!

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
WalksWithBlackflies

WalksWithBlackflies - Sep 14, 2011 3:13 pm - Hasn't voted

North Ridge/Gully

You cannot climb the ridge proper all the way from the saddle to the summit. A 50-foot sheer drop awaits you at a deep gully just prior to the final push to the summit. Instead, from the saddle, ascend Class 2 slopes on or just west (right) of the ridge. At the base of some Class 3 rock, contour west (right) to the gully. Ascend to the top of the gully, then proceed up to the false summit on Class 3 rock. From there, it is an easy walk to the summit.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.