North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.89420°N / 118.2316°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions to Anthony Lake and the trail instructions given in the Getting There section to reach Lost Lake Saddle.

Route Description


The north ridge of Mt. Ruth is a long gentle grade from Lost Lake Saddle. One can simply walk the ridgeline from the saddle, but this hardly makes sense because the trail south from the saddle parallels the ridge immediately below it. It is best to continue along the trail, but important to know where to leave it for the ridgeline.

Continue on the trail until it feels like the trail and ridge are separating then hike up the ridge or continue on to the small poorly defined side ridge that gives a definite northwest to southwest aspect change. Make the cut up here if not earlier. Beyond this aspect change the distance to the ridge increases significantly and the footing gets more dangerous on loose talus that’s just the right size to break ankles. The going would be very slow and difficult.

Once on the ridgeline stay on the top all the way to the small summit area. At times it will be tempting to cheat onto the east face. This may get one into some difficult rock, which can be fun or a problem to avoid depending on your desires and abilities. Generally the west shoulder of the ridge is less desirable due to the loose ankle breaking talus and sometimes dense, tangled trees.

Essential Gear


Good hiking boots are all that is required. An ice axe and crampons are recommended for a spring or early summer attempt when snow will be present.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.