North Slopes

North Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 69.31250°N / 21.27777°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

While Halti is often climbed as a part of weeklong backpacking trip starting from Kilpisjärvi through the rolling arctic tundra of Finland’s Käsivarsi Wilderness Area, it is also possible to reach from the Norwegian side as a relatively simple day hike. This unmarked route climbs from the east side of the lake Guolasjávri over the Norwegian summit of the fjell Ráisduottarháldi (1361 m) and about 1.5 km south to Halti (1328 m). Except for the summit of Halti, this route is entirely in Norway.

Getting There

From the E6 highway at Birtavarre turn down the Kåjorddalen valley road and follow this approximately 40 km to the end of the road at the lake Guolasjávri. The road is a little rough in some places, but shouldn’t require high clearance or 4WD. Before reaching Guolasjávri, you should take a left at the split, although the right fork is gated anyway. Parking is at the end of road by a sheep/reindeer herder’s cabin.

Good camping can be found anywhere after you leave the valley and start to cross the tundra plateau. Another nice camping place is a picnic area/trailhead just before the road begins to climb out of the Kåjorddalen. From here there is also a nice short hike up to the abandoned copper mine at Ankerlia and one can continue into the very impressive slot canyon of the Ørnedalselva/Sorbmejohka.

Route Description

From the end of the road (600 m) the mountain is visible directly to the south. Follow the reindeer fence slightly east until you can cross at a gate and continue uphill over the grass then more steeply up boulders until the wide summit plateau is reached. There are also some steep snow slopes in early summer if you want to avoid the boulders. There are several bumps on the top. The highest is Ráisduottarháldi (1361 m) and has a large summit cairn. On a clear day you should a have expansive views south and east over the rolling arctic tundra, west towards the peaks of the Treriksröset area, and north to the ocean and the higher peaks of the coast and Lyngen Peninsula. Continue south about 1.5 km along boulders to the Finnish summit of Halti. Return the same way. The entire trip is only about 9 km with about 700 m of elevation gain.

Essential Gear

The entire route is above treeline, and mostly on loose boulders. Good orientation skills are helpful for navigation, especially if the clouds move in and there is very poor visibility. Warm clothes and raingear are essential.

The map 1733 IV M-711 covers the area.

External Links

Online maps of Norway are available at the Statens Kartverk website.

A webcam from Storslett, Norway is available to check current conditions.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

HaltiRoutes