Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.70670°N / 107.6882°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Third Class
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the Andrews Lake Trailhead, follow the Crater Lake Trail up towards Snowdon. After climbing for about 1/2 mile, you will reach a large shelf where the trail flattens out onto a broad meadow. From here, leave the trail and begin heading southeast, toward Snowdon for about 3/4 a mile. From this point, begin heading toward the saddle between Snowdon and the smaller mountain to its north, known as "Peak 12,628."

Route Description


From the basin to the North of Snowdon, climb up to the saddle between Snowdon and Peak 12,628. The climb to the saddle involves easy scrambling over 2nd to third class rock. Once you reach the saddle, turn right (south) and follow the ridge toward the summit of Snowdon. Once you get close to the summit, it is probably best to drop down onto Snowdon's east face and traverse to the east ridge, and then follow the east ridge to the summit. There is a great deal of exposure in this area. The traverse and scrambling along the ridge involves some third class climbing. Total mileage is about 6 miles roundtrip with 2,300' of elevation gain.

Essential Gear


No technical gear is required. Some good scrambling shoes are recommended for the exposed traverse.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.