Northeast Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.05919°N / 115.03315°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log



Overview

Mount Alpen makes an excellent few hour to half day adventure from Alpine Lake, one of the more popular backpacking spots in the Sawtooths.  If done as a day climb from the trailhead, Alpen will require a full day, with most of that day approaching and on trail.  Alpen can also be combined with Mt. Underhill and Elk Peak for a very long day, even from Alpine Lake.  Routes on Alpen vary from Class 3 through mid 5th class, yet the summit is a broad, flat plateau with exceptional views of Packrat Peak and the Monte Verita Ridge.  Just across Alpine Lake from Alpen is The Eagles' Beak, one of the best unknown easy rock routes around.

Reward Peak

Northeast Slopes (Class 3-4)- from just west of Alpine Lake, scramble southwest to the base of a vertical band of rock. The North Route is just west of this giant rock band, but the Northeast Route is just south (left) of this impressive rock band.  Scramble up the slope, which is slightly steeper than the North Route.  If all snow covered, then the climbing is straight-forward, but if rock is exposed, be wary of loose rock. This route is not recommended if it is all rock and sand.  From the ridge, scramble Class 2 to the northwest to reach the true summit.

Descent- The easiest descent is found 0.25 miles southeast of the summit, but may be tough to find.  Follow the ridge to the 2nd descent notch (the 1st notch doesn't go down easily).  Scramble down the 2nd notch which starts just west of Point 9337 and stay west of the snowfield marked on the map. Continue descending to the drainage stream south of Alpine Lake (as marked on the map).  Stay south of Alpine Lake to hit the trail again. 

From Redfish Lake Transfer Camp (utilizing shuttle boat): 6.4 miles and 3774 feet gain (one way)

From Redfish Lake Lodge (no shuttle boat): 10.1 miles and 4806 feet gain (one way)

Elk Peak


Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.