Northface

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.85060°N / 10.96590°E
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 50°
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach



Ramolkogel Alpenglow (W Face) - Photo by Lodewijk


From the Ramolhaus, you go on the normal route until the saddle between Anichspitze and Mittlerer Ramolkogel. From this point, traverse down on the Latschglacier to the foot of the northface. 1 1/2 h.

  • Route to the Ramolhaus - Ramolkogel from the East - Climbing Ramolkogel
    Photos from Keith T, Rahel Maria Liu (cred. Roman Meyer) and Jurgen

Route to the RamolhausRamolkogel from the EastClimbing Ramolkogel

Route Description

The starting point is just 30 m on the right side of the rockpart in the iceface. Pay attention to avalanches in the gap! At the beginning, it goes up to 50°. After 100 to 200 hm, you have to traverse to the left up the hanging glacier. The next 100 hm are less steep (35°-40°). Then the face becomes 50°, and it has a little bit hard ice. Just here, you can perhaps need a rope for one ropelength. The end of the northface is again less steep. Altogether it is 400 hm.

It is good for beginners of northface-climbing and as training. In contrast to the northfaces in the Pitztal region (Hinterer Brochkogel, Petersenspitze) at the same time, the ice of this northface is less pure and hard, but mostly firn.

  • Ramolkogel from south - Großer, Mittlerer and Nördlicher Ramolkogel - Ramolkogel from Fernerkogel - Alpenglow
    (Photos by Mathias Zehring, rgg, TobiasEberlei and Lodewijk)

Ramolkogel from southRamolkogel from Hochwilde HausRamolkogel from FernerkogelW Face


  • Nördlicher, Großer and Mittlerer Ramolkogel (Photo by Thehighrisepages)


  • Weather - Österreichischer Alpenverein


  • Essential Gear

  • 2 ice axes, crampons, rope, icescrews.



  • Ramolkogel - Photo by rgg


    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.