Northwest Couloir on Peak 9164

Northwest Couloir on Peak 9164

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.06972°N / 116.85771°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 50 degree snow/ice
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

NW Couloir on Peak 9164


NW Couloir on Peak 9164

Getting There

Park at the Vivian Creek parking lot. The road and/or parking lot might not be plowed after a snow storm.

Route Description

From the Vivian Creek parking lot, walk up Mill Creek Canyon for 1.5 miles until you can look south (right) and see the couloir. The characteristic feature of the couloir is a narrow rock constriction (which I call "the gauntlet") more than halfway up.

The couloir from Mill Creek


Turn south (right) up a drainage and follow it south for a few hundred feet before bearing southeast for several hundred feet. After rounding an island of trees, the bulk of the couloir (including most notably "the gauntlet") will come into view.

The Gauntlet


Climb the 35-50 degree couloir for roughly 1500 more vertical feet to the crest of Yucaipa Ridge. To get to Galena Peak, which is half a mile east, ascend and descend as needed on the south side of the ridge. From Galena Peak, descend the standard route via Mill Creek Jumpoff.

Essential Gear

Ice axe
Crampons
Helmet

Red Tape

Forest Adventure Parking Pass

External Links

Trip report from The Mountaineering Review (February 15, 2010)


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.