Northwest Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.20800°N / 121.417°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade II, class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See main page of White Chuck Mountain for approach description

Route Description


This is the most popular route on the peak. It is a surprisingly easy scramble that follows very exposed ledges across the south side of the northwest ridge.

Follow the approach trail into the talus field below the northwest summit. This summit is separated from the main peak by a steep gully. A path to climbers right of the gully ascends steeply to the crest of the northwest ridge. From here there are great views of the north face and glacier. Rather than following the crest of the ridge the path traverses out onto its southwest side. Continue on a gradual upward traverse towards the summit linking exposed ledge systems with sections of scrambling. An exposed notch is crossed just before the summit. Some climbers might enjoy the comfort of an occasional belay. Descend the route. (1-3 hours up, 1-3 hours down)

Essential Gear


Ice axe and crampons in early season. Some climbers might want a rope.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.