Northwest Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.11220°N / 105.1807°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Please see the 'Getting There' section on the main page for directions to the beginning of the route.

Route Description


Follow Culebra Peak's standard route to its summit. From Culebra's summit, you drop almost 600' to the 13,460' saddle between it and Red Mountain. You must go over or around a small 13,599' subpoint before reaching the true saddle. It's worth it to stay on the climber's trail when ascending Red's northwest slopes because they are somewhat loose. Save some gas for the reclimb of Culebra!

Round trip distance and elevation gain can vary wildly depending on where you start the hike up Culebra. While the previous owners required people to hike all the way from the ranch HQ, the Hills allowed people to drive as far as they want on the 4WD road. My party elected to fully gain 3000' of elevation on Culebra Peak, so we had to start about a mile before the Fourway junction. Our stats were 9.7 miles and 4795'.

Essential Gear


Hiking boots.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.