Notch Trail at Badlands National Park

Notch Trail at Badlands National Park

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.76010°N / 101.92835°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Notch Trail at Badlands National Park is one of the most scenic and unusual hikes in this stark, yet beautiful landscape. The trail, named for a cutout in the rock wall, passes part of the way through a normally-dry canyon before ascending an elaborate ladder to a high and steep ridge top with an amazing view of the White River Valley and the surrounding region. The drop-offs on one side of the ridge can be intimidating to those with fear of heights.

Notch Trail Canyon
Notch Trail Canyon

Like the rest of the Badlands, the canyon that the Notch Trail passes through is characterized by astonishing formations carved into the multi-colored rocky soil by many centuries of weathering.

Nature's Sculpture Along the Notch Trail
Nature's Sculpture Along the Notch Trail

Visitors to the national park are sometimes treated to views of wildlife that includes deer, bison, pronghorn antelope and coyotes. The bison can be unpredictable and very dangerous at times. Please keep a safe distance of at least 100 feet or more. Rattlesnakes also reside in the area, so caution should be exercised at all times.

Getting There

Notch Trail View
Notch Trail View

Follow the Badlands Loop Road, Road 240, to the large trailhead turnout two miles east of the Ben Reifel Visitor Center. This is the trailhead for the Window, Door and Notch Trails. You will find that the Notch Trail begins at the south end of the lot.

Red Tape

Rock Tower Along the Notch Trail
Rock Tower Along the Notch Trail

There are some park fees, and you can access the latest information by clicking here:

 

Badlands National Park Fees

 

Pets are not allowed. Drones are not allowed either. More information on park regulations is available here:

 

Badlands National Park Regulations

 

Route Description

The Notch Trail is out-and-back and is 1.4 miles one-way, with around 150 feet elevation gain. This trail is considered moderate to strenuous. The terrain is rugged. During rainy conditions, the trail can become muddy and slippery in places.

Notch Trail Ladder to Upper Rim
Notch Trail Ladder to Upper Rim

 

At the trailhead, the terrain is mostly flat, but soon enters a canyon that narrows as you ascend. The ladder to the top of the ridge is very apparent on the right. Going up is fun, but going down is not as much fun. Because of the drop-off on the side of the ridge, caution is warranted if you choose to hike to the lookout at the trail’s end.

When to Hike & Climb

Uneven Footing Here
Uneven Footing Here

The national park is open all year, however, adverse weather conditions will provide the greatest restrictions, and pandemics can and have also brought temporary restrictions. So, it will be worth your time to call ahead to check things out before you finalize your plans. The phone for the national Park headquarters is: (605) 433-5361

 

For the latest Badlands weather conditions and forecast, click here:

Badlands National Park Forecast & Conditions

Essential Gear

SP Member Peppermint Penguin
SP Member Peppermint Penguin

Standard hiking gear of your choice will suffice. For those new to hiking, sturdy boots or shoes, hats, sunscreen, insect repellent and plenty of drinking water are all good choices. The heat reflected off the desert sand during the summer can lead to dehydration.

 

Weather conditions and whatever your plans are for the day may inspire you to bring other things as well. Since this is a very picturesque route, a camera can help you bring back some scenic memories. Please be advised that because of the terrain, cell phones do not work at all locations.

Badlands National Park Information Links

National Park Maps

 

Notch Trail Information

 

Badlands National Park official website

 

Badlands Camping options

 

Badlands Lodging options

Notch Trail Scenery
Notch Trail Scenery


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.