Nyack Crossing Trailhead (GNP)

Nyack Crossing Trailhead (GNP)

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 48.43670°N / 113.80311°W
Additional Information County: Flathead
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3350 ft / 1021 m

Directions to the Trailhead:

Loneman Trailhead MapTrailhead Location

Drive to Mile marker 164 on U.S. Highway 2, which is approximately 10.9 miles east of West Glacier, Montana, and look for a BNSF Railroad Access road half way between mile markers 164 and 165.

It is also .4 miles west of the Skiumah Creek Trailhead. Another noteworthy feature is the Highway 2 bridge that crosses over the railroad tracks near mile marker 165. Another noted feature is the Red Eagle Ranch that is near the correct road.

However you locate this road turn to the northeast and follow the road to the tracks. At the tracks turn right and follow it for another .3 mile to a parking area. Find a place to park that will be out of the way of the maintenance crews. This trail head diagram from the National Park Service will also be helpful.






Trail Directions:

Trailhead Sign
Trailhead LocationLocation of Lower Nyack Trailhead


At the parking area walk across the tracks and make your way down the bank to the Middle Fork of the Flathead River.

There more than likely will be more than one channel to cross. Find a suitable place to cross and wade to the opposite shoreline. Hopefully you have brought some wading shoes and perhaps waders or a dry change of clothes for the rest of the trip. In September 2009 the river was about 18 inches deep.

Once on the opposite shore continue through the wide river bead and look for a bright orange marker on a tree. The Lower Nyack trailhead sign will also be visible. Hopefully you are at the correct location and it will be easily located.

If you are planning on climbing Loneman Mountain or hiking up the Nyack Creek Trail take your wading shoes to cross Nyack Creek.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount StimsonTrailheads