Octoberfest/Hidden Peak Combo

Octoberfest/Hidden Peak Combo

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.00810°N / 113.51546°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall

Overview

A one day climb of Octoberfest and Hidden Peak. 4,700 elevation gain over 8 miles. Recommend that either one does just Octoberfest, Octoberfest and Hidden Peak together, or commit to the full circle: Octoberfest, Hidden Peak, Wet Creek Peak and South Wet Creek Peak, as the IdahoSummits group did. Once you are at Wet Creek Peak, it's easier to continue around than to back track.

A longer but different approach to the basin can be made via Bear Lake and the approach is described in the South Wet Creek Peak page and the Bear Lake route description in IdahoKid's Southwest face variation page.

Once you are in the basin, you can summit any of, or combinations of, the four peaks. However, if you are going to do Octoberfest, then the approach presented here will take less time (and energy).

Octoberfest Leg

This trip was inspired by the IdahoSummits 2006 outing. I was looking for something to solo, because I never have soloed a peak before. Guys solo all the time don't think twice about it, but I get lost in town so it was a big deal.

On Dan's (IdahoSummits) recommendation I went after Octoberfest. I also used IdahoKid's beta. It was a beautiful fall day and the weather promised to hold. With gps and trip reports in hand, I left Pocatello at 5:30 a.m. and reached the trail head and was hiking by 8:30 a.m. The trail is well maintained and takes you in and out of trees and through a meadow.
Morning Meadow


While on the trail, you watch for an obvious ridge to a high point south of the summit that is the start of the saddle traverse to the summit. As you begin to see the ridge, you can either take the trail all the way to the ridge and go up, or do what I did and look for thinner pass through the trees and bushwack the forest, catching the ridge on the other side. Just make sure you continue to climb.
Ridge to High Point
This ridge section to the saddle point is the steepest part of the entire Octoberfest approach. You can either summit the saddle point when you reach it, which I did, or look for the traverse around the face to the saddle. I looked for the traverse on my way up, not very hard, still it wasn't as evident as it would be when I came back down.

After you get to the saddle point, the route mellows, but still ascends steadily to the summit. During this traverse I had plenty of time to see and evaluate moving to the second leg of this route, Hidden Peak. I summitted Octoberfest at 11:15. Here is Wet Creek Peak from Octoberfest's summit.
View from Octoberfest Peak

Hidden Peak Leg

Hidden Peak Summit

Here is Hidden Peak from Octoberfest's summit. I had mapped Hidden Peak in case Octoberfest went well. I spent 15 minutes on Octoberfest summit and grabbed a snack...the weather was suppose to hold all day and even if it took the whole rest of the day to do it, i had a headlamp if it got dark. So, I went for it.

Base of Hidden Peak

The easiest approach is to descend, aiming toward Hidden Peak, the 800 ft backside of Octoberfest to the basin, cross the basin and hike over to the base of Hidden Peak and then ascend Hidden Peak staying near the eastern ridge. This is the steepest section of the mountain, but not nearly as steep as it looks from Octoberfest. You keep going in this direction until you better see the main ridge that goes to the summit. Continue on solid talus and trend toward the main ridge staying well right of, and away from, the cliff walls.


You will reach the main ridge and head upward on it toward the summit the rest of your approach. As you continue on the main ridge you will reach of section of small, steppable ledges that you will work around, always returning near/next to/on the ridge. There might be a time or two in the ledges where you'll need/want to put a hand down.
Hidden Peak Ledges


At the end of the ledges you will see the false summit.
Hidden Peak Upper Ridge


Continue on and you will be rewarded by the true summit: a block you can walk up or make an easy climbing move or two to obtain. I summitted around 1:05.

Hidden Peak Summit Block

There are great views of McCaleb, Diamond, Big Southern Butte, and Bell Mountain possible on even a slightly hazy day.

Getting Down

From the summit of Hidden Peak you get an excellent view of Octoberfest. You'll notice that you can't directly traverse to the saddle point you need to reach to descend the backside ridge to the main trail, as there is a deep, long shoot in the way.

You'll basically retrace your route from Hidden Peak summit to the basin, re-ascend Octoberfest near where you came down, but going straight up almost the entire 800 ft before you are high enough to traverse above the shoot.

Instead of summiting the saddle point, contour around its face on a small trail that is easy to find (I hit this spot at 3:15), and then descend the ridge, go back through the woods, and connect with the main trail. I got a little hung up in the woods because I entered at a different point than I had exited in the morning. If you get twisted around on your route, it will probably be in here. Keep bushwacking in a downhill direction and you'll make it back out. You should be moving perpendicular to the main trail, so keep you eye out for it after you leave the woods. You should cross it at worst. Return via the trail to the trail head and your post-mountaineering refreshments (takes about 1.25 hr).

Getting There

From Arco: Take US Highway 93 north of Arco to the Pass Creek Road. Turn right on the Pass Creek Road. Follow this road 12 miles to the Pass Creek Summit. At Pass Creek Summit turn left onto the Loristica Road. Follow this road 1.7 miles to the fork in the road (there is a sign). Stay to the left passing the Loristica campground area and continue to a second campground where a gate and the Wet Creek Peak/Bear Lake trail head begins. I made it with a low clearance vehicle.

Essential Gear

Sunscreen, if you are out on a sunny day, there is little shade after leaving the Wet Creek/Bear Lake trail. The same goes for water.

Red Tape

None. Idaho is wild and free.

External Links

IdahoSummits 2006 outing description.

South Wet Creek Peak approach via Bear Lake Gully approach.
Octoberfest Peak and Hidden Peak

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
musicman82

musicman82 - Oct 12, 2009 9:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Duplicate Page

This page needs to be removed, as it is a duplicate for both peaks - you should do a trip report instead.

Octoberfest: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/155013/peak-10-800-octoberfest-peak.html

Hidden Peak: http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/155027/peak-11-308-hidden-peak.html

Mlasky

Mlasky - Oct 12, 2009 9:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Duplicate Page

I'm new. I've been barely able to figure out how to upload pictures. But i understand what you're saying. I cross referenced because i saw the peaks were out there, but not chained together nor talked about as being accessed a third way, which i cross referenced too. I'll see what i can do to figure out how to move everything without losing stuff. i unattached it earlier because i originally had it as a route under octoberfest but that didn't seem right either, since it's a combo of two different peaks and i didn't see the combo out there. but it's confusing cuz of the register thing too. so...i'll figure it out. tips appreciated. thx

Mlasky

Mlasky - Oct 12, 2009 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Duplicate Page

can you take a minute to look at it now? Did i reset it correctly? I selected "related" ? thx

musicman82

musicman82 - Oct 12, 2009 11:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Duplicate Page

Looks good - I think you're right about it not being a route page either. Given the fact that you included so much information about your personal trip there, I think this is definitely the correct classification for it. Looks like a beautiful trip!

There is a learning curve figuring out how to do all of this! If you ever need help or have any questions, just shoot be a PM - I'm more than happy to check anything out or try to answer questions!

Tim

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Wet PeakTrip Reports