Ord Mountain Road Hike

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.67490°N / 116.8151°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Ord Mountain
This is a different route than the one on the main page. In Barstow is the intersection of I-40 and I-15. Head east on I-40 towards Arizona. Go 7 miles to the small town of Daggett. Go south away from Daggett for about 100ft to a Stop sign and Pendleton Rd. Turn left or east for 1.0 mile where the road turns sharply to the south and the pavement ends. This is the beginning of Camp Rock Rd. Camp Rock Rd. is dirt, but it is wide and newly graded. High speed is ok. Stay on Camp Rock Rd. for another 9.2 miles and there is a marked road to the right named Ord Mtn Rd. Turn right on Ord Mtn Rd. This road also has a signs numbered 7525.
Ord Mountain

Ord Mtn Rd is not as good as Camp Rock Rd. Follow it another 2.0 miles where the road forks just before reaching a High Pressure Gas Line. Take the left fork about 100ft and notice the Ord Mtn Rd continues straight across the High Pressure Gas Line road. If you are driving 2WD, this may be a good place to park. The Ord Mtn Rd starts climbing dramatically beyond the High Pressure Gas Line and in another .8 mile you will reach a place where the road is gated. There is parking here for several cars. Elevation here is about 4,570ft. If you parked at the bottom of the hill near the High Pressure Gas Line, the elevation there is about 4,120ft.
Ord Mountain

Route Description

Ord Mountain
From the parking area near the gate on the road, hike up the road. There are no forks in the road or any problem in route finding. The road climbs steeply and in about 2.0 miles and elevation of 5,970 ft you finally come over a crest in the road and can see the summit. It is still about .75 mile to the summit, but it is easy hiking. The actual highpoint is on the far side of the buildings and I think the easiest way is to walk around the right side of the largest building and then in front of the solar panels.
Ord Mountain

Total hike from the gate is 5.17 miles, gains 1,739 ft and takes about 2.5 hours. If you hike from the bottom of the hill it will add a total of about 1.6 miles and 450 ft of elevation gain.
Ord Mountain
Ord Mountain
Ord Mountain

Essential Gear

[img:389893:alignright:small:]Camera, lunch, and maybe a windbreaker in the winter. Some water would be good to have along on a hot day in the summer.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.