B-52

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title B-52
Manufacturer Trango
Page By spyder550
Page Type Sep 28, 2002 / Sep 28, 2002
Object ID 488
Hits 5667
Vote
The B-52 will catch falls on any rope size (7.8mm-11mm). It was designed to feed and rappel effortlessly and it can belay one or two seconds. When belaying a the seconds the B-52 can be used directly off the anchor in auto-lock mode under the weight of a climber. Another feature is that it can also be used as an emergency ascender. Compared to a Petzl Reverso it is much lighter and is a solid piece of metal instead of various parts.

Similar Products: Black Diamond ATC & ATC-XP, DMM The Bug, HB Sheriff, Metolius BRD, OP SBG II, Petzl Reverso, Trango Jaws, Trango Pyramid.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

STW - Feb 7, 2004 10:23 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I have used simpler belay devices like Tubers, ATCs, HB Sheriff, etc. for most of my long years of rock and ice climbing - going all the way back to the venerable sticht plate. I recently thought I'd try some of the newer more sophisticated belay devices like the Petzl Gigri and Reverso.



I never got comfortable with the those two units. It does more than I want it to; and makes it difficult for me to just do what I want it to. I'm sure I could get better with it if I just spent more time with it. But why bother?



So this new Trango B52 comes along. Looks like an intermediate idea in between my trusted old-style belay devices and the new school. So, I thought I'd give this one a try. I've always liked Trango gear...



When I use it as a standard belay/rappel device, it works fine. No complaints. Again, though, I can't say that I've really become comfortable using it in more advanced modes (auto-lock, etc.), I'm non-plussed.



As a standard belay/rappel device, I've not had the problems that some other reviewers have. The b52 has performed just fine for me both with double ropes on ice climbs and a single rope on rock.



Ardvark - Jan 6, 2005 11:18 am - Voted 1/5

Untitled Review
With 10 or 11 mm rope, this BRD is just too tight. As a result, you can take in slack fast enough to be safe and you can't let line out fast enough to avoid yanking the leader off the rock. This is the first piece of climbing gear I've ever owned that simply does not work or seems obviously unsafe.

Brian C - Dec 14, 2010 9:01 pm - Voted 3/5

Smooth
Although a great feed, this rope causes my ropes to twist like a mother.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3