Sirius

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Sirius
Manufacturer Tre GmbH, D-72793 Pfullingen
Page By Irma Weber
Page Type Jul 1, 2002 / Jul 1, 2002
Object ID 402
Hits 6818
Vote
New semi-automatic belay system for double ropes. It offers easinees of use and great security because it blocks the rope semi-automatically in case of a fall. Allows the use of double ropes, single ropes and twin ropes with a range between 7.5 and 11 mm. Attempts to find an automatic belay system for double ropes have been unsuccessful up until now. In case of an unexpected fall the TRE blocks the ropes with a 20-30 cm rope slip, but if you´re alert it can be blocked as a normal belay plate. For belaying the leader or the second. Can also be used for abseiling/rappeling.
  • The TRE rope-brake is not an fully automatic belaying device. The brake hand must always remain on the rope at all times.
  • It can be used for belaying one or two followers, for belaying one leading person and for rappeling. The Tre rope brake can be clipped to the belt or to a secure anchor - but it must be free to move in any direction necessary.
  • In case of a fall the cross-bolt will be forced into the handle and lock the rope against the frame (this is similar to self-locking devices).
Online Resources:

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

George Spinthakis - Oct 24, 2002 3:49 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I was suprised to see how well it works... Pays out slack like an ATC, locks on leader / second falls (keep an eye and your hand to the "brake" rope though).

Abseils fine, for thiner ropes there is "extra friction possibility".

It can also be used as an emergency rope aid device (ascender kind of thing).

Definitely available in Europe - not a clue about US retailers though.

Nikolas_A - Nov 22, 2003 10:53 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I bought it the first month it came out. It's the first piece of gear I bought that does what it is advertised for: everything! Especially usefull is the ability to unlock it under tension after catching a second's fall (to lower him). Great for rappel as it doesn't need a backup (it locks when you stop pressing the handle). It also works great in a pulley system.
Only disadvantage: although it is supposed to work with 11mm ropes, it's already a pain when using it with a moderately worn 10,5...

Viewing: 1-2 of 2