Big Bang SL

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Big Bang SL
Manufacturer Mountain Hardwear
Page By cluck
Page Type Jan 20, 2003 / Jan 20, 2003
Object ID 627
Hits 6758
Vote



Quantum Bags all have the Quantum Expander, an ingenious way of adjusting the volume of your sleeping bag to respond to changing conditions. This bag category allows you to choose a sleeping bag with either down or Polarguard 3D fill that will serve you over a much wider temperature range than previously possible.




FEATURES:

  • Upgrade tie-in loops stabilize upgrade liner

  • Velcro® tab at zipper sliders stay in place when venting

  • Insulated draft tube extends to bottom of bag and is not sewn through, eliminating cold spots

  • Performance-cut mummy shape is more efficient and saves weight, reducing girth at shoulder, hip & legs

  • Multi panel, contoured footbox

  • Contoured hood forms around head to seal in heat

  • Differential cut maintains maximum loft

  • Expandable draft tube provides additional room for warm temps and layering space for colder temps

  • Insulated draft collar with offset drawcord seals in heat below the shoulders

  • Slant baffle construction ensures consistent thickness of insulation

  • Snag guards prevent fabric from catching in the zipper

  • Two-way locking zipper sliders stay in place when venting

  • 2-layer Conduit SL shell











Reviews


Viewing: 1-4 of 4

Lior_Yaakobi - Jan 25, 2003 1:46 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
Use it only ones.

It was about -10 to -20 outside and I was freezing in the beginning of the night.

Only after about 3-4 hours I start to feel better.

But I must specify that the problem was the cold surface - perhaps another layer of mattress or something like that would solve the problem.

pksander - Jan 17, 2004 11:02 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Bought this sleeping bag early this season, knowing I'd be doing a lot of snow camping. Have used it on 3 winter trips so far, including a very cold one in B.C. for 4 nights. Temps ranged from the 20's to as low as -5 F & I managed to stay pretty warm in the BBSL--at least once I'd been in the bag a bit and had a chance to warm it. up. Temp ratings on bags are often exaggerated, but I'd say that this bag lives up to its claims. Any colder than that (-15 F) and you'd definitely want more down fill.

The stacked zipper construction is great and really helps you regulate the temperature in the bag, not to mention the amount of space.

In B.C. we suffered insane amounts of condensation in the tent--thick hoar frost on everything (fuzzy zippers!) that would melt when our body heat would warm it up; although I was concerned about the heatlh of my down, the water-resistant shell apparently did a great job: inside of bag never got wet & it stayed as warm as ever.

My first down bag, I was & remain amazed at how small it compresses... happy with my decision to go with down even in the wet Pacific NW.

I will probably get the MHW bivy to go with this bag, to add extra warmth and keep moisture off bag entirely.

Very happy with it so far & pleased to know that down, if properly taken care of, doesn't deteriorate nearly as fast as synthetic fibers.

(Would have given it Five stars had it been an immediate furnace of warmth on my coldest nights out--maybe too much to ask for the price...)

mountaindan - Mar 4, 2004 10:53 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
So far I would have to say that this is a very good bag. I stayed very warm with temps in the low teens. I like the expander feature to regulate temperature and for the extra room. Most of the night i had the bag partially unzipped so I would not get to hot.

with the expander unzipped I was able to keep my clothes inside the bag with me, I am 6'4" 240lbs.

miztflip - Nov 30, 2004 10:39 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
No complaints here, I've stayed warm in this bag on many cold nights of winter camping in Colorado. I usually wear my long ungerwear and a bennie as this is the expected clothing for the stated ratings on the bag.



The bag is great in moist environments and I've never had trouble keeping it dry. It also compresses to nothing and doesn't weigh very much.



The price is great for a bag of this quality.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4