Bora 80

 

Bora 80
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Bora 80
Manufacturer Arc'teryx
Page By paule
Page Type Jun 28, 2002 / Jan 28, 2019
Object ID 401
Hits 18310
Vote
Main compartment features top-loading and side-zippered access for extensive entrance to all corners of the pack. V-stay suspension system with load-transfer rods help distribute the load evenly between shoulders and hips. Laminated, 4-layer foam hipbelt is thermo-formed to fit the shape of your hips and reduce pressure points; adjustable angle offers an individual fit. Large, self-draining front kangaroo pocket holds bulky or wet gear and is accessible from top or front. Zip-access lower sleeping bag compartment with adjustable, roll-up divider. Top lid pocket removes to become fanny pack for summit attempts or short day hikes. Features a hydration-ready sleeve for holding a 100 fluid ounce bladder and an exit port for drinking tube (bladder sold separately). Includes dual daisy chains, wand pockets, and dual ice axe/tool loops for carrying bulky gear outside the pack. Made of durable RipStorm and Superpack nylon for maximum abrasion resistance with a polyurethane coating for water resistance.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-13 of 13

paule - Jun 28, 2002 2:09 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This pack performs really well. Best of all, it is the most comfortable pack I have ever found. When you are on trips with other packs this size, and you don't have it stuffed til it bulges, many don't synch down enough, or hold the load well, and will shift weight / contents around, making the pack feel awkward to carry. I found this notoriously true with cheaper packs. At the same time, I have loaded this pack down to 70+ pounds, and the pack was very comfortable. The design of pack, shoulder straps, and hip belt prove to be superior in comfort. The Bora 80 held up for me in the middle of a major storm that brought high winds, sleet, and rain, yet it managed to keep my sleeping bag dry even though it was in a stuff sack that was not water-repellent.



The layout, construction, COMFORT, and attention to detail on this pack unbeatable.

Joeyroo - Feb 12, 2003 4:50 pm - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
The pack has some nice features such as a vertical zipper on one of the sides that allows you to get to items on the bottom of your pack more easily instead of having to pull everything out.



The problem I had most was trying to get a good fit with my small frame. The hipbelt is a bit too rigid and bulky for a comfortable fit and even though I purchased the small version of the Bora 80, the belt was slightly too big. As for the side pockets, they were a little too short and a bit on the tight side to handle 1L Nalgenes well. There were a few times where the water bottles slipped out.



Unless you have a more than average build I'd avoid this pack. Not to say I hate the pack, it's just that it doesn't suit my body. I now have a Gregory Palisade which fits me well.



FYI: If you want to save money purchase the Bora in Canada.

minime - May 1, 2003 5:27 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I am really impressed with this pack. Ditto on one reviewer's comments about being able to synch down a wide variety of loads. A big problem with other packs in the same category, like the Denali Pro, is that you don't get the same flexibility for loading, which often give you the awkward feeling that you are carrying a "laundry bag" on your back with your load shifting all the time. Despite the price difference, the Bora 80 is a better value if you want flexibility, and want a pack that isn't going to fall apart on you. What is interesting is that I pack Nalgene water bottles in mine, and don't have a problem with the kangaroo pouch like one reviewer has experienced, even while under intense glissades. I suspect "Joeyroo" didn't have the kangaroo pouch adjusted properly. I had similar should strap problems with Gregory packs as others have complained about, but the shoulder straps on the Bora 80 are the best built, and are very comfortable. This pack holds up really well.

vertx - Nov 19, 2003 10:05 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I bought this pack to downsize the current pack that I own. I was a little skeptical at first to whether or not I could get all my climbing gear in it for a 2 day summit trip. I am notorious for over packing! Not only did it take everything I gave it, it did it with style. Easy to load and unload with the side access zipper. This also helps to get the perfect weight distribution, yet still allows access to whatever you put at the bottom without unloading the entire pack.

The double daisy chain is a nice feature. I also like the velcro loops on both sides for the ice axes/wands or whatever else you are carrying. This whole pack is fully adjustable and versitile. The kangaroo pouch is nice when you want to store wet stuff or have fast access to something. I have had no problems with the water bottle holders on warm weather climbs, they are fully adjustable with the cord inside. However, since most of the time I climb apline, I will typically put my bottles inside the pack.

This pack is the most comfortable pack that I own. It carries a load like a champ whether it is 25 pounds or 65 pounds. Sizing is important, make sure you buy the one that fits you.

huckleberry - Dec 30, 2004 9:50 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Great pack.Had my last pack(a Gregory Reality)stolen while in MT this fall.Had to shop for a while to find a good pack that fit my back as I need a lot of support in my lower back.Very well designed(side zip,hydration port,bag compartment,lots of headroom,detachable fanny pack).It is the best built of all of the packs that I looked at(Dana,Gregory,Lowe Alpine,TNF,Wookie,etc.).Absolutely bombproof.The only downside is the price,but it was well worth it for me.

Crux105 - Nov 12, 2004 1:44 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
When choosing a pack I truely believe that a pack is a lot like a pair of boots; no matter what features it has, sometimes it just doesn't fit! Thus all recommendations should be taken with the grain of salt.



That said the Bora 80 is the best backpack I've ever owned. It is not for the faint of heart, because it does come with a hefty cost and weight, but it rarely fails to woo it's critics. The hip belt is one of the most padded and supportive I've ever seen. One of the best suspensions on the market makes carrying heavy loads much easier.



With a heftier denier fabric and a higher water resistant coating, it can take on just about any wear and tear you can think of.



I would not recommend this pack to the casual user, or weekend hiker because it is more pack than necessary. I would however, recomend it for mountaineers, and anyone carrying a heavier load.

Ed F - Feb 3, 2005 12:19 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Wow!

I can't say enough good things about this pack. Like most Arc'Teryx products, it's pricey, but you certainly get what you pay for here. This is a fantastic pack.

I've hauled some absurd loads with this pack, and once you get it on your back, it somehow feels 20 pounds lighter. The suspension system is amazing.

The only downside is that you have to be a contortionist to get at the water bottle holders. I guess that's true of most packs, though.

Also, you can probably throw this pack in a river, and it will stay dry inside. I don't bother with a pack cover in rain. Nothing gets in.

awagher - Mar 30, 2005 1:09 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This pack is a true workhorse. Suspension makes heavy loads feel like nothing. Adjusts well to various size torsos. Tools have plenty of places to attatch on the outside. Compression straps work like a dream. The pack is heavy but bombproof. Fights off weather and angry brush like nothing. Make sure you have alot of gear if you are using this pack -although it compresses well it is made for alot of gear. The fanny pack option in the lid is a nice feature as well.

Desert Solitaire - Apr 12, 2005 8:21 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This is the best pack I have found, bar none! There are a lot of excellent reviews you hear about this pack's suspension - ALL TRUE!! A fully loaded 60 lbs feels very manageable, and comfortable over long distances.

However, my favorite quality is the bomber construction - this thing has slid down thousands of feet of scree and corn snow, been bashed on countless boulders and even dropped in the rushing Kern river about 1/4 mile while I chased it down the rapids! I saw it get tossed around and tears clouded my eyes when the hip belts slammed on the rocks, but when I got it, I just fluffed it up, dried it, and could hardly tell the difference! The newer models with waterproof zips only add to this truly excellent pack.

As a previous reviewer mentioned, I still highly recommend that you try this on first for fit because packs are never built for everyone, but you'd be damn unlucky if this one didn't fit you.

Nate Miller - Jul 18, 2005 1:14 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
OK, my brother (Huckleberry) and I bought these at the same time, and while it seems a bit stupid to agree with almost everyone on the planet that this is a great pack, I am throwing in my two cents. This pack is really fast to adjust when you put it on. The adjustment straps are quick to find and easy to reach. I like the hip belt WAY more than any of the the other ones I have tried out, and I am pretty picky, not being blessed with extra padding on my own hips.

You also will not get lost in a jungle of straps and zippers and all other manner of useless extras on the outside. I like the no-nonsense features, like the kangaroo pocket with quick access for your rope or Gore-Tex , or the triple daisy-chains, that add versatility without being a gimmick or getting cluttery. In addition, this fabric is tough with a capitol T. Lastly, the waterproof zippers are sweet, and the coating on the inside of the fabric makes it pretty impervious to wet conditions.

I love mine.

Augie Medina - Sep 25, 2007 8:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Best Pack I've Had
All the great things about this pack have been noted above. The comfort of the waist belt particularly stands out for me. I also really like the front pouch with its vertical zipper for storing things you need immediately without having to dig in the pack. I keep my rain gear and first aid kit in this front pouch.

I've had my Bora 80 for years now with frequent use and it's still holding up like new. The fabric is strong and the zippers still move smoothly. What's not to like? Well, one thing.

The side mesh pockets, if used for carrying water bottles, are the only thing that need improvement. You cannot, without risk of dislocating your shoulders, reach back very easily and remove your bottle as you hike along and it's even harder to replace the bottle into the pouch "on the run". But all the pluses of this pack greatly outweight this minor "defect."

Mister White - Nov 27, 2008 4:23 am - Hasn't voted

Arc'Teryx Bora 80: great!
For longer trips I bought the bigger brother of the Bora 60 I alraedy have. It is a bit heavy, but also super for carrying heavy loads of more then 20 kg.
Veary acceseble by the big zippers and I love to use the kangaroo pocket for raingear, teva's and other stuff that you have to get quickly. Superior suspension system and bombproof qaulity that fits my back like a glove.

Tsuyoshi - Mar 16, 2009 4:47 am - Voted 4/5

great load hauler
great for hauling heavy loads of gear to basecamp or extended backpacking trips. But outside of these two uses it becomes cumbersome and heavy.

i don't have my bora anymore as i use a wild things andanista when i have large amounts of gear to haul... it doesn't feel as comfortable but it 3.5 lbs lighter and MUCH more versatile.

but if used for hauling and extended backpacking, you can't get much better of a pack!

Viewing: 1-13 of 13