Cascade

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Cascade
Manufacturer ALPS Mountaineering
Page By ministercreek
Page Type Feb 19, 2005 / Feb 19, 2005
Object ID 1262
Hits 4431
Vote
This pack is 5000 cu. inches, has an integrated rain cover and utilizes ALPS own Comfort Glide on the suspension. Mine (an 2003 model) is constructed of 300D "honeycombed"polyester ripstop. Has an PE framesheet to keep items from poking one in the back plus "air mesh" to keep the back cool.



The Cascade has three outside pockets for gear organization and two side mesh water bottle pockets. Top "lid "converts to an fanny pack.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

ministercreek - Feb 20, 2005 9:16 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I want to start out by saying I purchased this backpack under the ALPS Pro Tester Program and after all my reviews and photos, I paid only $52.00 for this pack.

Using the Cascade for the very first time I was amazed at the volume this pack can comfortably carry. At 5000 cu. in. it had more than enough room for an weekend backpack trip on the Archers Fork Trail down in Ohio's Wayne National Forest. I must say this is the most comfortable pack I had thus far. An definate improvement over my REI Morning Star 75. ALPS uses an three layer foam system on both the shoulder straps and hipbelt which made for an very enjoyable weekend of backpacking. No sore shoulders come the end of this hike! :) Plus this pack has an very good PE framesheet compared to my Morning Star and I did not get the usual items poking me in the back like I did with the REI pack. My only "fault" with the Cascade was that the water bottle pockets were an tad bit small but never did my bottles fall out while out on this rugged southeast Ohio trail.

Plus I used the Cascade on my hike on the Old Loggers Path in Pennsylvania's remote Tiadaghton State Forest. Again the Cascade pack performed very well, no sore shoulders at all. Come the third day into this hike I finally got to use the integrated rain cover (one of the smart features of this pack) due to all the misty rain. This pack stayed very dry as an result.

As an final note, during my actual on trail use, I found that the shoulder straps and hipbelt to adjust very well and never did the pack ever sway back and forth once. Plus I really liked the "air mesh" that lined the inside of the shoulder straps and the back of the Cascade. It really did live up to it's claim and my back was not all too sweaty as an result. Good going ALPS for designing such an great backpack! :)

stinkycheezman33 - Aug 21, 2007 12:29 pm - Voted 5/5

i agree
thank you ministercreek! i love my cascade and agree with just about everything you said.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2