Charlet Vasak Spirlock

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Charlet Vasak Spirlock
Manufacturer Petzl
Page By Turbo
Page Type Apr 12, 2005 / Apr 12, 2005
Object ID 9994
Hits 1577
Vote
Designed to fit most climbing boots, Spirlock's bail-style harness works well with boots that don't have significant sole ledges.

Point lengths are optimally set to reduce stilt effect, improving stability and walking efficiency in mixed conditions

Semi-flexible design has the right combination of rigid support on steep angles and flex for natural walking comfort

Crampons adjust without tools to accommodate half-size boot sizing for an accurate, snug fit

Anti-snow plate prevents sticky snow from balling up beneath your feet

Nylon webbing lace snugs the toe and heel piece securely in place

source: www.rei.com

Reviews


Viewing: 1-6 of 6

Dow Williams - May 8, 2005 11:27 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
huge fan....come in different variations, I have this exact pair and they are much better than anything I have used before, snugger fit, stay on longer, quick to get on...lightweight...I like them a bunch (forgot to mention that the snow plate works like a charm as well)

pjc30943 - Jun 26, 2005 2:57 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have the Flexlock version, comprised of all straps; it is very close to what is pictured, but with no heel bail.

[Note: I don't climb really technical terrain, so I have not evaluated them in such conditions)

I needed to buy the optional extender bars to use for plastic boots, since the originals were jut a bit too short for size 13 boots.

Advantages:
-They close up small, and pack together well.
-Flexlock (the strap version) is very easy and quick to put on, little chance for mistakes (see below).
-Adjustment mechanism is extremely easy to use. It is harder, but still possible, to adjust them with thick gloves on when it's cold and dark.
-The straps are very tough and remain flexible even when frozen.
-Antibot plates have done their job consistently.
-Just plain comfortable to be on, although of course this is the case with most crampons.

Dislikes:
-They shipped with points WAY too sharp (for me). They were needle-sharp, ready to take out me entire calf if I kicked myself. Depending on who you are (i.e., not climbing on steel boulders), you may also want to file them down to something reasonably safe, which is what I did. It was seriously scary how sharp they were from the factory...
-When new, antibot plates were cracked slightly around their securing screws. This doesn't affect its functionality, but I'm still wondering how the heck all four plates could have small cracks in them (too much torque on the assembly line). Petzl is shipping out free new plates due to recalls, not for this reason though, so those new ones should be fine.
-The straps have to be pulled pretty tight sometimes. It is possible to be decieved into thinking the straps were tight, when in fact the buckle just has high resistance. Rarely, the toe can slide out if not carefully tightened.
-I had a hard time getting them off once due to the very small buckles. When frozen, this is hard to do by hand because of the short leverage. An adze was needed to lever the buckle open; it's just too tricky with gloves on when the buckle is frozen.


These were my first choice for my next crampons. Highly recommended.

pvalchev - Sep 2, 2005 5:30 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Have the flexlock version and love them... the fastest strap system I've used, and the rubber cups take the shape of the boot nicely allowing for a better fit. Original anti-ball plates have done their job consistently, even though they're shipping out better ones out for free. Nice all-around crampons that will do the job even on technical terrain it seems...

andre hangaard - Sep 4, 2005 5:23 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Fully satisfied! I've got the one's with "flexilock". So easy to put on/take off.
Easy to pack as you can make them small as the slide underneath is not attached. However you need the LARGE
slide when using them on shell-shoes.

Dow Williams - Oct 28, 2005 12:26 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
RECALL........there is a recall on their snowplates....just email Jen at Petzl, jhenstra@petzl.com and she will send you new ones free of charge....old ones were holding more snow than they should have under certain conditions. THANKS PETER

sibu1901 - Dec 15, 2005 11:47 am - Voted 3/5

Untitled Review
i'll give my review based on my initial impression. no field test whatsoever at the moment. i got mine (spirlock version) recently (december 2005), haven't got the chance to use them yet. but the design is slightly different from the picture shown. there are only 2 stoppers (the tiny posts that stop your boots from sliding backward) at the heel; the left and the right but no middle.
antibot plate is grey instead of orange. the attachment looks a bit flimsy. they don't seem to fit well with my saloman pro-ice or pro-thermic. the problem could be that the heel grooves of my boots are somewhat on the narrow side compare to what i've seen in other brands. so the heel bails kind of latched onto the heel grooves precariously. hopefully it won't pop-off when i use them for ice-climbing. i actually refrain myself from giving star rating cosi have not even subjected them to real use. since we can't post without rating, so i guess 3 star is somewhat a neutral vote.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6