Himalayan

 

Himalayan
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Himalayan
Manufacturer SMC
Page By vertx
Page Type Nov 19, 2003 / Jan 22, 2007
Object ID 860
Hits 6383
Vote

Description

The SMC Himalayan Ice Axe features an extra stron aluminum handle that exceeds UIAA test-strength requirements. It is finishes with a highly chip resistant powder coat finish. There is a slot in the pick for wrist loop webbing.

Made for alpine climbing and light ice climbing, the Himalayan's narrow pick allows for positive placements in steep ice and there is a vibration dampening connection between the head and shaft.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

DBaker - Aug 26, 2007 10:53 pm - Voted 5/5

Solid
Heavy, solid, essentially indestructible general mountaineering axe. The heft is nice when making bollard anchors, but gets tiring if you're swinging it for a considerable period (my shoulder was quite tired after using it for the Mt. Baker north ridge). That said I still choose to carry the extra weight 90% of the time. I've even used mine to chop down a tree, when I found myself without an (non-ice) axe and in need of firewood. Heavily used for two seasons now and only has a few scratches on the finish, the majority I believe came from the extremely abrasive Dunite of the North Twin Sister.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1