litech tea/coffee kettle

 

litech tea/coffee kettle
Page Type Gear Review
Object Title litech tea/coffee kettle
Manufacturer Primus
Page By awagher
Page Type Apr 22, 2005 / Jan 24, 2007
Object ID 1328
Hits 4241
Vote
Extremely lightweight coffee/tea kettle made of hard anodized aluminium. Foldable handle. Comes in a practical mesh bag.

Images

Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

awagher - Apr 22, 2005 2:20 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
This pot is super light and boils water quickly. The handle is foldable and helps make it a more compact package. The size over all is not as much an inconvenience as other pots (although this one can't be used to cook food as conveniently). I use it frequently.

kitcarson61 - Feb 2, 2007 6:25 am - Voted 5/5

My favorite pot
I've gone through an awful lot of cookwear through the years, but none have matched this one. Small, light, tight fitting lid, tough (mine's been banged around pretty good and hasn't shown a dent yet which is more than I can say for my titanium pots).

When comparing boil times against my titanium pots and kettles, regardless of the stove used, this little gem gets the fastest, and therefore most fuel efficient, boil times. I'm pretty sure that, due to the wider bottom of the kettle compared to most other pots of the same volume, the heat from the stove stays under the kettle longer and has more contact, thereby improving efficiency. I've compared it to titanium and anodized aluminum pots and the diameter of the bottom has been the only explanation that I can come up with.
It's true that you're not going to be frying that trout in it at the end of the day, but if all you're doing is boiling water, this is kettle you want.

It is short compared to others, so most stove/fuel combos won't pack inside it, but my 17oz soft canteen with squirt top for my alcohol (enough for four days)and my modified (very modified)photon type stove both fit inside along with my towel, windscreen and lighter and the entire combo weighs in at under 30oz and packs very small. I stuff the whole kit into one of the mesh water bottle pockets on the side of my pack along with a small stuff sack of soups, instant coffee and other hot drinks. Stop for lunch and I'm eating within seven minutes (it takes longer for the noodles to soften in the soup than it does to set up and boil the water).
DOWNSIDES-
1- the handle gets hot fairly quickly and it's easy to get burned by steam if you're not careful
2- if you want to do more than just boil some water... too bad.
3- there is no third downside, see 1 and 2 only

Looking to go fast, light and small? This is your cookwear.
Highly recommended.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2