Pirana

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Pirana
Manufacturer Petzl
Page By The North Face
Page Type Dec 17, 2005 / Dec 17, 2005
Object ID 1533
Hits 5365
Vote
DESCENDER

Three breaking positions, two friction horns and a plastic guide for good positioning of a carabiner all make the Pirana Descender from Petzl an ideal Canyoneering descender.Features: Compatible with single and double ropes from 8 to 13 mm in diameter. Three different braking positions to choose from based according to the weight of the user, the rope diameter in use and the terrain. Features 2 points where the rope can be angled to let you adjust the descent speed.

Recommended uses:
For canyoning as a descender for single or double rope as well as for common climbing and mountaineering.

SPECS:

* Weight: 90 g
* For use on semi-static rope from 8-13 mm.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-3 of 3

The North Face - Dec 17, 2005 8:14 am - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
I use to go climbing with a partner whos weight is 20 kg more than mine and due to the friction horns I can choose from three different braking options. So I can easily differ the descending speed of my partner.

The bad aspect consists of the fact that you cannot use all kinds of carabiner. There for you have to buy one of the following ones:

Petzl William Ball Lock

Petzl William

Petzl Attache

or others not exceeding 12mm diameter

Although this descender was build for canyoning I think that you can use it as well for all kinds of rope activities...

horalka - Jan 23, 2006 10:57 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
Used it in cannoning and can definitely see the advantage of easy rope work - constantly taking rope out and putting back in for multiple rappels. For that environment works very well especially when rope is wet and would be very difficult to put through ATC. Also almost necessary during belaying someone ascending the rope, locks better.
I don't think I would use it for climbing. ATC works fine even thought there is a definite resemblance to old fashion 8 with some upgrades.

Augie Medina - Dec 12, 2007 4:33 pm - Voted 5/5

Canyoneering
Great rappel device for canyons. One big advantage over other rappel devices is that you don't detach it from your harness when rigging it (or at all). A slight disadvantage is the one metioned above, the locking biner you use to attach it to your harness can't be larger than 12mm and of course so many lockers are larger than that. The 3 braking positions allow you to rig just the right amount of friction at the beginning and the two cleats allow you to increase the friction during descent. Plus, locking off on descent is relatively easy with this device.

It is easy to see why this device is so popular with many canyoneers.


Viewing: 1-3 of 3