The PowerShot S100 is a sophisticated pocket-friendly point-and-shoot digital camera that has the power advanced users and enthusiasts need to create standout images. As with other PowerShot cameras, the compact PowerShot S100 incorporates all of the advanced Canon technologies that make capturing superb photos and video as easy as pressing a button. Yet, when it's time to get creative, the very same camera in the hands of a skilled photographer can produce stunning images that would be at home in a gallery. As automatic or manual as you need it to be, the PowerShot S100 is, at once, a pocket camera and a serious photographic tool, impressing even demanding pros. It incorporates the Canon HS SYSTEM, now featuring the new DIGIC 5 Image Processor for enhanced image quality and amazing low-light performance. The fast f/2.0 lens helps you tackle unfavorable lighting and capture breathtaking portraits with beautiful, shallow depth-of-field. 12.1 Megapixels ensure crisp, richly detailed images, and a 5x Optical Zoom provides an excellent all-around range to shoot near or far.
- 12.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor combined with the new DIGIC 5 Image Processor creates the Canon HS SYSTEM for improved low-light performance up to ISO 6400 and enhanced image quality.
- Capture stunning Full HD 1080p video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button; zoom while shooting and play back videos on an HDTV via the HDMI output.
- 5x Optical Zoom with 24mm wide angle allows you to capture more in your frame, and a bright f/2.0 lens makes it ideal for low-light conditions or using shallow depth-of-field for dramatic, soft backgrounds.
- Intelligent IS automatically chooses from six different modes to optimize image stabilization for the shooting condition.
- High-Speed Burst HQ allows for continuous capture at a maximum of 8 frames* while maintaining superb image quality and Super Slow Motion Movie records video at high speeds to allow playback in slow motion.
- Full range of shooting and recording modes including RAW + JPEG for the ultimate creative control, and a control ring for intuitive manual adjustment.
- Built-in GPS tracker records your location, and a logger allows easy viewing of the locations on a map to help you remember where images were taken.
- Large 3.0-inch wide LCD enables easy viewing.
SpecificationsImage Capture DeviceType
12.1 Megapixels, 1/1.7-inch CMOS sensor
Approx. 13.3 Megapixels
Approx. 12.1 Megapixels
5.2 (W) - 26.0 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24-120mm)
Auto & Manual Focus: 1.2 in (3 cm) - infinity (W), 12 in (30 cm) - infinity (T)
Normal AF: 2.0 in. (5 cm) - infinity (W), 12 in. (30 cm) - infinity (T)
Macro: 1.2 in. (3 cm) - 1.6 ft. (50 cm) (W), 12 in. (30 cm) - 1.6 ft. (50 cm) (T)
TTL Autofocus, Manual*
*Shooting standby only in movie mode.
3.0-inch TFT Color with wide viewing angle
Approx. 461,000 dots
Aperture and Shutter
f/2.0 (W) - f/5.9 (T)
15-1/2000 sec. (Total Shutter speed range)
Auto, ISO 80/100/125/160/200/250/320/400/500/640/800/1000/1250/1600/2000/ 2500/3200/4000/5000/6400 (in P Mode)
Light Metering Method
Evaluative*, Center-weighted average, Spot**
* Facial brightness is also evaluated in Face Detect AiAF
** Metering frame is fixed to the center/linked to AF frame
Exposure Control Method
Program AE, i-Contrast, Manual; AE Lock, Program Shift, Safety Shift, Auto ISO Shift
+/-3 stops in 1/3-stop increments
White Balance Control
Auto*, Day Light, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, Underwater, Custom
* Facial color is evaluated in Face AiAF (Face Detect WB).
Auto, Auto w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash On, Flash On w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash Off; FE lock, Safety FE, Slow Synchro
1.6 - 23 ft. (W), 1.6 - 7.5 ft. (T) (50 cm - 7.0 m (W), 50 cm - 2.3 m (T))
10 seconds or less (battery voltage: 3.7 V)
Flash Exposure Compensation
+/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
C, M, Av, Tv, P, Auto*1, SCN*2, Creative Filters *3, Movie*4
• Shooting videos are possible with the movie button
*1 Smart AUTO, also available for videos
*2 Movie Digest, Portrait, Landscape, Kids & Pets, Smart Shutter*5, High-Speed Burst HQ, Handheld Night Scene, Beach, Underwater, Foliage, Snow, Fireworks, Stitch Assist
*3 High Dynamic Range, Nostalgic, Fish-eye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Color Accent, Color Swap
*4 Standard, iFrame Movie, Super Slow Motion Movie
*5 Smile, Wink Self-timer, Face Self-timer
My Colors Off, Vivid, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Custom
Approx. 10-sec. delay, approx. 2-sec. delay, custom*
*Delay time (0-10 sec. (in one-second increments), 20/25/30 sec.) and number of shots (1-10 shots (in one-shot increments)) can be specified.
Approx. 2.3 shots/sec. (in P mode)
Approx. 9.6 shots/sec. (in High-Speed Burst HQ)*
* Maximum of 8 continuous shots per burst
• Under conditions where the flash does not fire automatically.
• Differs depending on the zoom position.
SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards and Eye-Fi
Design rule for Camera File system, DPOF (Version 1.1) compliant
Image Recording Format
JPEG Compression Mode
Still Image: Exif 2.3 (JPEG)
RAW (CR2 (Canon Original));
Video: MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM (Stereo))
Number of Recording Pixels
Large: 4000 x 2248
Medium 1: 2816 x 1584
Medium 2: 1920 x 1080
Small: 640 x 360
Large: 4000 x 2664
Medium 1: 2816 x 1880
Medium 2: 1600 x 1064
Small: 640 x 424
Large: 4000 x 3000
Medium 1: 2816 x 2112
Medium 2: 1600 x 1200
Small: 640 x 480
RAW: 4000 x 3000
Large: 2992 x 2992
Medium 1: 2112 x 2112
Medium 2: 1200 x 1200
Small: 480 x 480
Large: 2400 x 3000
Medium 1: 1696 x 2112
Medium 2: 960 x 1200
Small: 384 x 480
Playback Modes File
Still Image: Single, Magnification (approx. 2x-10x), Jump, Auto Rotate, Rotate, Resume, My Category, Transition Effects, Histogram, Index (4-100 thumbnails*), Over Exposure Warning, Slide Show, Red-eye Correction, Trimming, Resize, Image Inspection Tool, i-Contrast;
Movie: Normal Playback, Special Playback, Editing, Auto Rotate, Resume
*As viewed in LCD monitor
Still Image: single image, all images
Movie: part of movie, all of movie
Memory card slot; direct connection to Canon and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable
1. Rechargeable Battery Pack NB-5L
2. Compact Power Adapter CA-DC10 (included with AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC30)
Still Image: approx. 200 shots*
Approx. 4 hours
Dimensions (W x H x D)
3.90 x 2.34 x 1.05 in / 98.9 x 59.8 x 26.7 mm
Approx. 6.98 oz. (198 g) (including the batteries and memory card)
Approx. 6.10 oz. (173 g) (camera body only)
27 display languages provided (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, Hindi)
CostUS Retail Cost: ~$400
External LinksCanon USA website