ProTrek PRG 60

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title ProTrek PRG 60
Manufacturer Casio
Page By bearbnz
Page Type Oct 29, 2004 / Oct 29, 2004
Object ID 1154
Hits 18549
Vote
This new addition to the Casio Pro Trek range is powered by a tough solar power system which eliminates the need for batteries. The analog-digital configuration means you can always check the time even while viewing digital data. A trio of sensors provides up-to-the-minute readouts of barometric pressure and altitude (-700 to 10,000 meters), air temperature, and bearing. All of this and more makes the new PRG-60 a serious adventuring tool that's just the thing for challenging the great outdoors.





Other Features:

• Electro-luminescent backlight, Full auto EL light, afterglow

• Solar powered

• Low-temperature resistant (-10°C/14°F)

• 100 Metre Water Resistant



Digital compass

• Measuring range: 0° to 359°

• Measuring unit: 1°

• 20 seconds continuous measurement

• Bidirectional calibration and northerly calibration function



Altimeter

• Measuring range: -700 to 10,000 m (-2,300 to 32,800 ft) without reference altitude

• Measuring unit: 5 m (20 ft)

• Memory capacity: One set of memory measurement data, which includes up to 41 measurement records (date, time, altitude) and one record for maximum altitude (date, time, altitude)

• Other: Reference altitude setting

*Changeover between meters (m) and feet (ft.)



Barometer

• Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa/mb (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)

• Display unit: 1 hPa/mb (0.05 inHg)

• Barometric pressure history graph (Graph of 18 hours of pressure readings at 3-hour intervals, which plots rises or falls in pressure that are 3hPa or greater)

*Changeover between hPa and inHg



Thermometer

• Display range: -10 to 60°C (14 to 140°F)

• Display unit: 0.1°C (0.2°F )

*Changeover between Celsius (°C) and Fahrenheit (°F)



Watch

• 1/100-second stopwatch

• Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99"

• Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times

• Daily alarm

• Hourly time signal

• Battery power indicator

• Power Saving (Turns off the display when the watch is left in the dark)

• Auto-calendar (to year 2039)

• 12/24-hour format

• Regular timekeeping: Hour, minutes, seconds, pm, month, date, day

• Accuracy: ±15 seconds per month

• Approx. battery life: 6 months on CTL1616 (Operating period with normal use without exposure to light after full charge)

16 months on CTL1616 (Operating period when stored in total darkness with the Power Save function ON after full charge)



Reviews


Viewing: 1-1 of 1

bearbnz - Oct 29, 2004 7:21 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have only had the watch for a short while, but so far I like it. I bought it as a replacement to an older Casio Triple Sensor that I recently lost on a snowshoe trip out of Sonora Pass. I looked at the Sunnto line, but they are considerably more expensive than the comparably equipped Casio, with only a few minor features to justify the cost difference.

One of my favorite features is the rechargeable battery. The battery charges with exposure to light, even artificial light. If the battery is fully charged, the watch will run for 5-6 months (or up to 16 months if the power save feature is enabled) without further exposure to light (only handy if you stick it in a dark drawer or someplace similar for storage). There is also a battery condition indicator, which is a great feature. My last Casio was fairly hard on batteries, about one per year if I used it a lot, so I'm hoping this feature works as advertised.

One disadvantage as compared to the Suunto line is the sensitivity of the altimeter. It only measures in 5m increments, where the Suuntos measure in 10' increments. In reality, though, I don't believe the Suunto is that accurate, and for my uses, +/- 5 meters is plenty close enough. Right out of the box, with the factory setting, the altitude was right on, must have had a standard atmosphere kind of day.

On those days where the atmosphere is not in standard condition, the PRG 60 has an easily adjusted reference altitude to aid in accuracy. Setup of time, date, etc. was also quite simple.

As of this review, I haven't had a chance to check the digital compass against my orienteering compass, but it seems close.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1