The Reverso is a belay device for the leader or second, for use with dynamic ropes. Attached to the belay loop of the harness, it works like a classic belay plate to belay a leader or second. Attached to the belay using the "self locking" attachment point, the self-locking belay mode may be used to belay one or two seconds. It may also be used to rappel, and for occasional rope climbing.
- Self-locking feature allows the lead to belay second directly from an anchor point
- To change lead, the second simply attaches to the anchor while the belayer moves the Reverso to the second's harness--the second is now the leader
- Rigid keepers prevent the rope from tangling during rappels
- In an emergency, the locking mechanism feature allows device to be used as an ascender
- For use with 8-9mm double dynamic ropes or 10-11mm single dynamic ropes
- AAI Guides Choice
- Skyward Mountaineering (2002) Ice Climbing Equipment List: Top Pick - 3 stars out of 3
- April 30, 2002: "Following extensive testing, Petzl has discovered some potentially dangerous situations when belaying 2 seconds climbing at the same time with small-diameter ropes (8mm to 8.5mm)." See page 4 of PDF instructions for more info. Also see announcement on SP.