Swallow

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Swallow
Manufacturer Marmot
Page By mpbro
Page Type Dec 30, 2001 / Dec 30, 2001
Object ID 103
Hits 3943
Vote
Stormworthy construction features reinforced and back-tacked stress points, plus waterproof floor with all seams up off the ground. Freestanding 3-pole structure with pole sleeve and pole clip combination furnishes optimal headroom; short pole lengths pack easily. No-see-um mesh lined front door, single rear door and a zip-open ceiling panel provide great air circulation and stargazing opportunities. Seam-sealed, waterproof rainfly has buckle attachments for fast installation; front windows add light and views without letting in the weather. Rainfly's integral stake-out vestibule provides space for storing gear and boots; vestibule can convert to an awning. Four of the six external guy points are reflective so you can easily locate your tent in the dark; zippers are jingle-free. Create a bare-bones setup with rainfly, poles and ground sheet (sold separately); rainfly attaches easily to poles with Velcro(R). Six inside pockets provide storage off the floor for organizing your equipment. Field repair kit included with rainfly-buckle backup, repair fabric and pole repair sleeve. Comes with stakes, guylines, field repair kit and stuff sacks.

Reviews


Viewing: 1-4 of 4

mpbro - Dec 30, 2001 8:56 pm - Voted 4/5

Untitled Review
Objectively, the Marmot is a well made tent. The seams don't leak, the design is durable, and the interior has nice features. But that doesn't make it the right tent for every condition. This is a perfect 4 season tent for Oregon: lots of precipitation, mild summer and winter temperatures. But most of my backpacking is done during the summer in the California High Sierras. For this purpose, this tent is a subpar choice.

An ideal California summer tent would have two poles, only mosquito netting on much of the wall, and a minimalist fly. The Marmot has three poles, solid nylon plus mosquito netting over the windows, and a heavy fly.

hikinedd - Nov 27, 2002 2:55 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
The previous reviewer is correct in that the Swallow isn't your all-occasion tent. Great conditions warrant a lighter, less bulletproof shelter. What makes this our favorite tent is its versatility and comfort: 1) 40/17 sq ft -- ample space for two; 2) 2 doors (huge, versatile door in front, smaller door in back; 3) all doors and windows zip up for 4-season protection; 4) plenty of mesh storage pockets; and 5) the rainfly front has 2 zippers, allowing you to create an awning with the addition of two trekking poles and cord.



We've been buffeted by big wind and awakened once to drifts halfway up the sides. Very solid.



The weight's not too bad (8.5 lbs) considering the benefits of having a 4-season tent that can withstand the elements at night, then open up wide when the weather turns warm during the day. If you want you can just take the rainfly, poles and available footprint and set up a shelter with the awning.



(Actually, our favorite tent is our $35 Ridgeway from Costco we use as our carcamp tent; it's huge, fits an air mattress and is surprisingly watertight. But the Swallow is our favorite backpacking tent).

Pufflebrush - Apr 24, 2003 7:59 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
This tent is bombproof. Completely watertight. I spent 2 days in this tent and it didn't leak once. High winds and snow are no problem for this tent either. Once during a paticularly nasty little storm this tent survived gale force winds and heavy snow throughout the night and into the next day. This tent can handle just about any any type of weather you can throw at it. Very roomy inside which makes for more comfort when sheltering from the storm. Is a great spring/summer/fall tent. Has lots of mesh for venting but that can be zipped up for cooler weather. The two vents in the fly on top of the tent do an excellent job of reducing condensation and those same vents can be closed up tight from the inside-if necassary The two seperate enterances and 2 vestibules are a nice added feature.. I wished it was a pound lighter. At about 9 pounds its a real heavyweight in todays tent market. But 9 pounds is also a decent weight for a 40 square foot tent that can be used in almost any conditions with almost every feature found on a tent. Also very durable--I have used my Swallow 20+ times and it is still in great shape.

lisae - Mar 8, 2007 1:28 am - Voted 5/5

Swallow
I've had and used a Swallow for about 10 years now, and it is still going strong. I consider it a 4 season tent for the areas where I camp; ie the desert and here in CA. It hasn't leaked when subjected to heavy rain or snow and is okay in very windy weather.

Mine is a two person tent, so only has one vestibule and door.

One thing I really like about it is that it comes with set up directions sewn onto the 'burrito' bag. Great if you go brain dead when setting it up in the middle of the night.


Viewing: 1-4 of 4