Overnighter up Jacobs Ladder

Overnighter up Jacobs Ladder

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.52670°N / 111.7553°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 23, 2005
Seasons Season: Fall
Top of Jacobs Ladder and...
The Corner Canyon trailhead was inaccessible so we had to hike an extra mile from Suncrest development. Started at 1:00 pm. Arrived at meadow campsite just past the top of Jacobs Ladder at 6:00 for dinner, fire and overnight camp. Next morning after breakfast, hike to summit was relatively easy. No packs! Left them at camp. We crossed the bottom of the cirque. There was a little snow left this late in the season.
The slash across the cliff...
Climbed the summit from the NW boulder ridge.
Scrambling boulder ridge just...
We had to carry our dog Eli for a good portion of the last 50 yards. Met several other day hikers there and a USGS hydrologist. I love this hike when I can take my time and enjoy it. Overnight camping makes it all possible. Lone Peak summit is the most stunning of the Wasatch front. 600 ft. sheer cliffs on three sides at the summit get your adrenaline going and heartbeat up a bit as well. On descent we started back down Jacobs Ladder but took the Draper Ridge turnoff and bushwhacked over to the Bear Canyon trail. We needed water really bad and this late in the year all of the south facing drainages were bone dry. The Bear Canyon trail on the north slope of a ridge has year round springs. We re-supplied at a spring at 8300 ft. below outlaw cabin. Arrived back at the trailhead after dark. It was a fantastic overnight adventure with my son and dog.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
MrWasatch

MrWasatch - Jan 6, 2006 3:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Sounds like a fun trip and you have some nice pictures as well. I haven't done Lone in a long time (13 years now) and I plan on spending a lot of time there next year exploring Bear Canyon trail and maybe the route from Alpine since all my past trips have been Jacobs Ladder or Draper Ridge, I need to get familiar with the new routes.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1