Ozark Trail

Ozark Trail

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Flora, Topo/Diagram, Informational, Scenery

The Ozarks

The Ozarks have less than 1500 feet of total relief above the Mississippi Delta to the East. However, that counts as "rugged" for the Midwest, so they are worth a visit.

If you stay away from Branson - - and you should - - most of the visitors come for canoeing, a little white water, car camping and a significant amount of grilling and drinking. Get away from them, and there are quite a few places that are surprisingly wild. On a beautiful May weekend on the Ozark Trail, I didn't see another person during the 48 hours I was there.

I'll eventually be putting up some more pages on the area, but for now, this album will serve as a holding area for images.

External Links

The Ozark Trail is a long-distance trail throughout the Missouri Ozarks. It's still a work in progress. There are great maps and other information at the Ozark Trail Association webpage.

There's a national park in the region, the oddly-named Ozark National Scenic Riverways. The main attraction is canoeing, kayaking, and partying on gravel bars. There's a reason why they're called gravel bars . . .

There are lots of state parks scattered throughout the region, see the Missouri Department of Natural Resources site for links and for information on camping.

Mark Twain National Forest manages many scattered pieces of land throughout the Ozarks, including lots of campgrounds.

For wildflower identification, try this site.

Red Tape and other annoyances

Varies significantly by landowner, including private landowners along the Ozark Trail who allow passage and even camping.

The Missouri Ozarks are definitely "South," and have the rich variety of life that you'd expect. Unpleasant ones include poison ivy, lots of ticks and mosquitoes, water moccasins (western cottonmouths), southern copperheads, timber rattlesnakes, and pygmy rattlesnakes.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
csmcgranahan

csmcgranahan - May 13, 2008 10:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice idea for a page!

I did lots of hiking/backpacking along the OT back in 2001-2003 when I lived in the St. Louis area. I've added a few pictures. If you haven't yet you should review the three mountain pages I have added for Missouri. I think the OT passes near all three of them.

Feel free to link to them if you like.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Sep 7, 2008 8:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice idea for a page!

Thanks, and I've set up those MO mountains as "related pages." I'd love to see more -- perhaps you have more ideas in your pocket?

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

OzarksAlbums