Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 38.80299°N / 112.22909°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10222 ft / 3116 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Pahvant Mountains are a lesser known range in Central Utah that run 40 miles north-to-south along the eastern edge of the basin and range country of western Utah. It is named after the band of Utes that lived in the area. The southern portion of the mountains are lower in elevation with the highest point being Joseph Peak (9,325'). The northern section of the range has a high-elevation spine that hovers between 9,000-9,400 feet with the highest point being Mine Camp Peak (10,222'). The eastern side of the mountains, especially near Richfield, Utah, are mostly red rock canyons and foothills. The higher elevations receive much more moisture and boast large forests of pine and aspen.

Robins Valley

Robins Valley

Getting There

The range sits about 120 miles south of Salt Lake City. The town of Scipio on I-15 sits on the north end, Fillmore is in the Pahvant Valley to the west, and Richfield is in the Sevier Valley to the east. The southern portion of the range is separated from the Tushar Mountains by Clear Creek Canyon through which I-70 travels. The area is crisscrossed with an extensive network of ATV trails and dirt roads including the famous Paiute Trail. Most roads are fairly well-maintained by there are plenty of spots where high-clearance and maybe 4WD are recommended.

Red Rock Canyons of the Eastern Pahvant

Red Rock Canyons of the Eastern Pahvant

Red Tape

Most of the land in the range is within Fish Lake National Forest. There are some private land parcels in and around the range.
There are several wildlife management areas on the west side of the mountains including: Halfway Hill, Cemetery, Black Cedar Hill, Circus Hollow, Pioneer, Bennett Field, Nixon, Young Field, Holden.
Southern Pahvant
Southern Pahvant

External Links

Fremont Indian State Park - Located at the south end of the mountain range is an incredible concentration of petroglyphs, artifacts, pictographs from a variety of Native American peoples through history including the Fremont.
Meadow Hot Spring is to the west of the mountains just outside the town of Meadow.
Mystic Hot Springs are to the east of the mountains in Monroe, Utah.
The Western Pahvant

The Western Pahvant

Camping

The range is littered with a large number of primitive, roadside campsites. 
Maple Grove Campground near Scipio Lake on the eastern side of the northern portion of the mountains makes for great camping.
Adelaide Campground near Kanosh on the west side of the southern part of the range has 8 single family sites and a group site for 30 people.
Pahvant Above Scipio Lake

Pahvant Mtns Above Scipio Lake



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.