Panorama

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.15130°N / 7.97122°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: D+, Rock to UIAA VI- (5b)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Panorama was opened in the year 2004 by Diana Zurbriggen and Beat Burgener. It contains about 400m rock climbing up to 5b in about 10 pitches and runs through the S Face of the Jägihorn. It is technically a little more challenging than its neighbour Alpendurst and offers some splendid lengths in the upper part.

The route is described in plaisir West by Jurg von Kanel.

Approach

There are 2 possibilities to approach the base of the route:
  • starting from the Weissmieshütte after an overnight stay. Follow a small trail N of the hut in the direction of the S Face.

  • starting from Kreuzboden by taking the cable car from Saas Grund early in the morning. Start in NE direction, cross the water and head to the S Face.
In both cases you can pick up the blue-white (alpine path) marks of the normal route to the Jägihorn after a while. Follow them until you can traverse right to the grassy slopes at the base of the face. The name "Panorama" is painted on the rock at the start of the climb, next to the first belay.

Route Description

Panorama poses no routefinding problems at all. Just follow the obvious line of (most of the time blue painted) bolts till the next belay. The route is well equipped (although less than its neighbour Alpendurst) and no nuts or friends are required. The belays consist of two bolts without a chain. Even with a 50m rope some lenghts can be combined (otherwise you'll do a little more than the indicated 10 lengths). The route ends to the right of the cross at the summit.

Descent is very easy and quickly by following the blue-white marks of the normal route. It is not advised to rapel the route because of the limited angle of the face.

Essential Gear

Everything you need for a normal rock climb. A double 50m rope or a single 70m rope, helmet, 10 to 12 quickdraws will be sufficient. Don't forget that it's an alpine rock climb and weather conditions can change abrupt, so carry a raincover and warm clothes with you.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

JägihornRoutes