Peak 10931 via Crystal Lake

Peak 10931 via Crystal Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.68070°N / 111.043°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the route from the east. It is a long route in comparison with most of the other routes, but it is highly scenic as well and passes many beautiful lakes and meadows along the way. The road is also good for all vehicles.

From Crystal Lake, the trail heads west over Watson Pass, west to Long Lake, west to Island Lake, and West to Big Elk Lake where the route will join the Norway Flats Route.

East Ridge of 10,931East Ridge of 10931.

Getting There

Crystal Lake is reached from the Trial Lake spur road off Highway 150 25.7 miles east and north of Kamas. Follow the signs along the spur road to Crystal Lake. This gravel road is good for all vehicles.

Route Description

From the trailhead, take the trail posted for Long and Island Lakes. The first part of the trail is actually and old road that heads west and stays above Crystal Lake. There is a sign-posted junction at the end of the old road. Turn left (west) at the junction. The trail heads west for a mile and switchbacks up to Watson Pass. From Watson Pass, the trail continues west and drops gradually one mile to Long Lake. About half way between Watson Pass and Long Lake, there is a hard to spot and un-marked junction with the Middle Fork Weber River "Trail". Chances are you won't see it. Continue on the main trail.

Just before Long Lake, there is another junction with the trail to Weir Lake and North Fork Provo River. Stay on the trail to the right and to Long Lake. Long Lake is in a pretty setting, but is over-used by campers.

Island Lake is another 1.5 miles west along the well use trail. Just before Island Lake, there is another junction with the trail heading south to Duck Lake. Turn right and to Island Lake. Island Lake is in a very scenic setting, but it too receives heavy use from campers.

From Island Lake, continue on the trail along the trail to the northwest. The trail is rather steep at first then flattens out and heads to a pass. At the pass, there is a junction with the Smith and Morehouse Trail. There is also a pond right near the pass. At the junction, turn left. Tow alternate routes for Peak 10931 will be presented.

Alternate 1

This is the shortest alternative from Crystal Lake TH and climbs Peak 10931 via its East Ridge.
From the junction with the Smith and Morehouse Trail/pond above, make sure not to drop low too early, and follow the map carefully. Some cairns can be deceiving, so stay fairly close to the base of the ridge to the north.

Aim for the saddle between Cone Peak and Peak 10931. From the saddle, follow the east ridge of the mountain to the summit. There is some scrambling, but it’s a pretty easy route.

Round trip distance to Peak 10931 and back is about 12 miles.

Alternate 2

This is another alternative from the Crystal Lake TH and climbs Peak 10931 via its West Ridge.

From the junction with the Smith and Morehouse Trail/pond above, make sure not to drop low too early, and follow the map carefully. Some cairns can be deceiving, so stay fairly close to the base of the ridge to the north. After two miles, the trail drops down to Big Elk Lake.

The trail to Big Elk Pass from Big Elk Lake is also indistinct. From Big Elk Lake, the route climbs steeply north to a bench. Watch carefully for cairns that mark the route. From the bench head west to a small pond. From near the pond, scramble north to the obvious pass. From the pass, follow the ridge east to the summit. There is some boulder-hopping and scrambling along the way. Enjoy the fine views from the summit.

Round trip distance to Peak 10931 and back is about 15.2 miles.

Click for full sized map:

Route Map

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots, a map and compass and/or GPS are required.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.