Viewing: 1-20 of 42 « PREV 1 2 3 NEXT »

Posted Oct 7, 2005 6:42 am

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Crazy but quaint outhouse
Posted Oct 7, 2005 7:21 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you for your vote. The outhouse is the special touch and it never ceases to amaze me what engineering marvels can be pulled off. Of course, I am now kicking myself for not actually using it and feeling the true ambience (sp?) of the place.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 11:02 am

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Wonderful page Dean! This peak looks like a gorgeous place. Thanks for sharing and take care!

-Britt
Posted Oct 7, 2005 7:42 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you Britt, it was an interesting area. I have to go back to do some other prominence peaks in southwest Oregon so I'll try and get some better pics.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 11:14 am

Martin CashUntitled Comment

Martin Cash

Nice job.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 10:23 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Martin, its not much of a challenge (other than getting there) but I felt it would be neat to highlight Dennis's accomplishment as the first to do all of Oregon

Washington is much more involved with twice the peaks and many extremely difficult. Only one person has done all 144 of Washington's prominence peaks and that person is John Roper. Paul Klenke is most likely to become the second one.

Washington is tough so that is a super accomplishment.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 11:38 am

Martin CashUntitled Comment

Martin Cash

Thanks for the explanation Dean. I know Paul is going for all the county high points, 2,000 foot prominence peaks from both lists, as well as the top 100 peaks. Sounds like a lot of work! I think Stefen Fellar is racing him to be the first one to complete all 4 lists. No sure on that though.

Martin
Posted Oct 7, 2005 12:01 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

35/39 (last: Glacier Peak), 89/100 (last: Glacier Peak), 116/144 (last: High Rock; next: Goat [Cle Elum]?), 23/200 (last: Kololo Peaks), YR 125 (last: Pk 5120+ east of High Rock).

Stefan isn't pursuing these with the same galumph as me but he does do them. I'm not sure where he would be at numbers-wise in these lists.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 12:31 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

OK Paul, tell me the truth. Did you ride your bike to the top of HIgh Rock? It certainly would be doable. Got any pics to post of your High Rock expedition?

My big push for the last 8 of Washington will be in the next two years with Dennis. We're planning on doing Baker, Olympus, Glacier and Stone next year leaving Buckner, Bonanza, and Big Horn for 2007. San Juan's is one that can be done anytime. I have to fit in Oregon's Jefferson, Utah's Kings and Wyoming's Gannett into 2006 as well. Pretty crazy for a guy my age (according to my wife)

Congrat's on your efforts to date, pretty impressive numbers.

Are you working on the front court / back court peaks as well?
Posted Oct 7, 2005 12:59 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Did not ride bike to top of High Rock but you're right it would have been easy. But since it took me all of 35 minutes to hike it, it wouldn't have had much value. Part of the reason is I thought I might traverse the ridge out to the peak to the west then make a shortcut back to the road/car, but it was foggy and wet. I'm glad I didn't because later there was thunder and rain on it and High Rock while I was sketching my way up the slabby crest of Pk 5120+ ("East Rock"?). I took some photos from that day but it was mostly cloudy. I haven't got the celluloid developed yet.

I don't think you're crazy at your age. I hope to have the fervor you do when I reach 65. Are you retired now? No more putting your fingers in other people's mouths.

I'm not working on the HC or BC. I had to draw the line somewhere. I do want to have a life outside of climbing. I do, I do, I do. Operative word is "want."
Posted Oct 7, 2005 1:18 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Not retired. If I was, I couldn't pay for new gear, gas, Toyota Tacoma pickups,etc. At one time, before Bob Bolton and county highpointing, I was considering chasing the bc / fc peaks since the travel to and from isn't that much of a problem.

Geez, now I travel 12 hours to do a stupid cohp in California (and of course I love it)
Posted Oct 7, 2005 1:39 pm

Martin CashUntitled Comment

Martin Cash

23/200 (last: Kololo Peaks), YR 125 (last: Pk 5120+ east of High Rock).

Paul, could you decipher what this part means for me. I'm not hip to that shiznit, Gangsta K.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 2:15 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Foo! Don' you know nuthin! You need some schoolin', yo.

23/200 means 23 of the Top 101-200.

YR 125 refers to the number of peaks climbed this year.

Werd up!
Posted Oct 7, 2005 2:39 pm

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Great page, Dean.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 11:41 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Brian. I know the day will come when you find your self up on this one so I look forward to some of your pics. Many of the ones I took turned out too dark or just plain lousy.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 11:52 am

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

Nice. Did you wear plimsolls to climb this peak? Was there a plimsoll mark halfway down the mountain's side? Did you carry along a parasol to stay out of the sun? Did you offer sacrificial pears to Sol, the God of Good Weather Climbing? Am I being totally dumb in this vote post?

...But seriously: you should provide a link to the 73 Oregon prominence points in the Overview. I'm not positive what they are. I thought there were over 100 2kP peaks in OR. EDIT: okay, I see the link farther down the page. So there are only 73 2kP peaks in OR. You could either provide the link again in the Overview or direct the reader to the appropriate section farther down the page.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 11:41 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you Paul for the vote and comments. However, I didn't use my parasol this trip as it was too windy on top. The wind about blew us off the mountain as we headed down but it isn't much of a hike when you can drive it. Now it'd be a 14 mile effort from Onion Camp or slightly further if one were to just walk up the road. That is an interesting area, an area I knew zip about before doing this one with Dennis.

Oregon's 73 are fairly tame other than the ones I mentioned on the front page. Some are drive ups but overall they are fairly well spread over the whole state and that makes them worth the effort.

See my reply to Martin Cash about Washington's prominence peaks. Still, to be the first to do anything is quite a neat feat. Dennis has close to 30 % of Californias 180 or so already done so he is constantly on the road every weekend. (reminds me of you)
Posted Oct 7, 2005 12:03 pm

mountaingazelleUntitled Comment

mountaingazelle

Nice page Dean. Congratulations to Dennis for completing all of the Oregon Prominence Peaks.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 11:52 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you MG, I was just looking at the Idaho page you have done a neat job with.
Posted Oct 7, 2005 5:32 pm