Perils of Mountain Driving

Perils of Mountain Driving

My wife and I were returning from a skiing day at Mammoth Mountain, California, when we saw a car on the opposite side of the highway with a huge plume of white cloud rising from its hood. My ever-helpful wife asked me to somehow cross the divider and help them out since, as she put it, "We have a gallon of water in the car." I crossed the highway, illegally I may add, and rushed to help. The driver was a single lady who was confused by all the steam. I circled the car and realized that her car was on fire, and what we were seeing was smoke, not steam. We took all her possessions out of the car and put them away from the now furiously burning car. She was from Bishop, the nearby town, and had a full tank of gas that exploded into a fireball after ten minutes. The car burnt to a crisp, and we kept her company till her son and husband showed up. I video taped the entire burning and made a movie of it that I sent to her later. I also added Beethoven's Symphony #6, 4th movement, also know as "Storm" as the background sound. She sent us a gift certificate to Schatt's bakery as a thank you.
Marcsoltan
on Nov 28, 2008 1:17 am
Image Type(s): Humor
Image ID: 466920

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-16 of 16
klwagar

klwagar - Nov 28, 2008 1:58 am - Voted 10/10

yikes

what happened?

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Nov 28, 2008 2:11 am - Hasn't voted

Re: yikes

Hi Katie, I wanted to write the story but this laptop is really driving me nuts. I will write more on Monday when I get back to my regular computer at home.
I saw your two new photos. They're great.
Marc

Noondueler

Noondueler - Nov 29, 2008 11:34 am - Voted 10/10

Sorry about the SUV

It's truly an amazing shot!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Nov 29, 2008 11:44 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sorry about the SUV

Well, it wasn't our SUV. But we got there just in time to save the single lady's possesions before the fire became visible.
I have 45 minutes of video on the entire event.

rdmc

rdmc - Nov 29, 2008 9:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow!

Glad everyone is ok!
Anxious to hear more of the story.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Nov 29, 2008 10:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!

Thank you Roxy, I will do a short summary
of the story when I get back home from my weekend trip.
Happy Thanks Giving,
Marc

rpc

rpc - Jul 10, 2009 4:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Wow!

"Anxious to hear more of the story."

alternatively...so there I was, not in the best of moods - a gallon can of gasoline in my hand, a cig dangling from my mouth when what do I see?!! My neighbor's big fat SUV blocking - ONCE AGAIN - my driveway...

..sorry Marc - couldn't help myself. The actual story in the caption is interesting (esp. the music video...funny!)

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jul 11, 2009 12:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow!

hahaha... There is really not very much more to the story to tell. But, I really like your creative way to change the story with "a gallon can of gasoline" and your neighbors SUV blocking your driveway again. Love it, I have felt like doing that to a few cars in my life.
BTW, how on earth did you find this pic that I posted many months ago?

klwagar

klwagar - Dec 1, 2008 11:31 pm - Voted 10/10

wow

I wonder why it caught on fire. Lucky you for the gift certificate tho.!!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Dec 2, 2008 12:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: wow

Apparently the car had a history of over heating. And, she was driving to Oregon by herself when this happened only ten miles out of her town. Go figure!

klwagar

klwagar - Dec 3, 2008 12:05 am - Voted 10/10

aww

only 10 miles out. Well, there goes the road trip I guess. I can relate to that. Although my car didnt burn up, it just got crashed into.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Dec 3, 2008 12:29 am - Hasn't voted

Re: aww

Yes, yes? Crashed into..... yes?

klwagar

klwagar - Dec 3, 2008 11:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: aww

I'm rather techno challenged so can't link to the road trip album. But my poor little rav got whacked while waiting for a traffic ight in Squamish on my way to Rainier.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Dec 4, 2008 12:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: aww

Sorry about that. Glad you're okay now.
I'm sure I can find the Trip Report on that.

klwagar

klwagar - Dec 4, 2008 11:32 am - Voted 10/10

Re: aww

it's not a trip report but an album on peoples road trips. Yours should be linked to it too.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 20, 2009 12:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: great story..

Are you familiar with the 4th movement of Beethoven's 6th symphony? If so, you are the first and the only person to comment on that.
Thanks for dropping by Jim,
Aren't you surprised I remember your name?

Viewing: 1-16 of 16