Permian Reef Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Strenous
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Geology Buffs

Before you hike this trail, stop by the main information center and purchase the Geology guide book for this trail. The trail begins at the Mckittrick canyon trailhead. There is proper signage to guide you. This is a hike for you serious Geology buffs. The trail has stop markers that can be used with the book you purchase at the main info center. There are great views into the canyon from here. This is an ancient Permian structure.

Getting There

Drive to the Mckittrick canyon trailhead. From there take the main trail to the cut-off sign.

Route Description

jessicahiker
This an 8.4 mile roundtrip with an elevation gain of 2000 feet.The route is pretty easy.However as you reach the summit it becomes quite steep. As with all hikes in this area, stay on the trails and be prepared for the unexpected.Critters are always present in these mountains.

Essential Gear

Water, sunscreen, hat, food, rain gear

External Links

http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/faculty/heywood/Geo393wtx/393WTXGuadMtn.htm

Geography
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.