Alternate Approach to Mt. Russell's East Ridge?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
MDP88

Alternate Approach to Mt. Russell's East Ridge?

by MDP88 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi all,

I am heading out to the Sierras for the next few days, and I had wanted to do Mt. Russell's East Ridge at some point. Since I am only out for 4 days, my original plan was to do it on Saturday; however, I was unaware until just recently that you need a permit to approach via the North Fork of Lone Pine trail. Is there another approach from the East that would allow me to do the East Ridge without having to get a permit? I'd be more interested in this than in trying to alter my schedule completely. Thanks.

Matt

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:48 pm

That only helps if you have the time to get there before 5 p.m. the day before.

seano

by seano » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:58 pm

Since Lower Boyscout Lake is outside the Dread Zone, Cleaver Col is at least semi-legal without a pass. So if you don't mind the extra elevation, or want to do the north ridge instead, that might be an option.

DaveGill

by DaveGill » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:10 pm

The Main Trail and North Fork are now one and the same in regards to the quota, but as stated, if you can get to the visitor center on the prior day, you'll likely have no problem getting a permit.

You can go as far as Lower Boy Scout Lake without a permit. It's not far after that (Clyde Meadow) where you can leave the drainage and head up to the Russell-Carillon Col. Your odds of running into a Ranger up there are slim to none. I'm not recommending that you break the law, however :wink: .

Return to California