As El Niño grows stronger, so does hope for a wet winter...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
dskoon

by dskoon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:27 am

Good for Cali; I know you guys, all over the state, need it in a big way.

But, what about us up here in the Northwest? We need some too!

David Senesac

by David Senesac » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:52 am

Good to read the longer range prediction has held up to what they now see as certain. Appears late Wednesday into Thursday is the real low low pressure whopper that will be preceeded by one of those howling wind events. If I wasn't in the 8-5 m-f work grind these days, I'd love to drive into the southern deserts and car camp during the storm. During the last really big storm in early February 2005 I went down to Anza Borrego for a week and car camped at the Carrizo Overlook in Anza Borrego the night the main deluge was certain to hit. Had everything setup inside my sedan to enjoy a couple days holed up including food, drink, and reading materials. There were flash floods all about that zone so when the sun finally came out, it was very fascinating hiking local arroyos the next couple days looking at all the flood debris. One thing one ain't gonna see most anywhere by the following weekend is footprints.

peninsula

by peninsula » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:13 pm

They are calling for over 20 inches in my mountain neighborhood! Never anything of this magnitude has occurred in my 8 years living in the region. I have a small creek going under a bridge in my driveway, it is dry most of the year. I am told it ran year-round during the wet years spanning the late 70's and early 80's. The longest it has run in the two years I have had this particular property was three months of 07-08. Last season, it ran for only 3 days! I'm shooting some photos of it starting tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to see how high it flows by the end of the week. This could be one of those "100-year floods". Southern CA is in for a heavy dose of Mother Nature.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:43 pm

goldenhopper wrote:My brother is going to be in Mammoth through Tuesday. Any chance he's going to get snowed in? Chief, will you dig him out? :wink:

He needs to get his ass outta here this afternoon at the latest...

Trust me!

I am home sick but preparing for the eventual....

The latest from the local guru's...

"NINO HOSER STILL ON IT'S WAY.....FOR MAMMOTH LOCALS...THIS WEEKEND A GOOD TIME TO PREPARE...GET CHAINS HANDY....EVEN FOR FOUR WHEEL DRIVES.....SNOW SHOVELS....AND TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE NECESSITIES....FUTURE ROAD CLOSURES ALWAYS A POSSIBILITY WITH EVENTS LIKE THE ONE THAT IS APPROACHING.....

THE TEMPO WILL PICK UP SUNDAY AFTERNOON WITH 6 TO 12 INCHES POSSIBLE OVER THE UPPER ELEVATIONS BY MONDAY MORNING......SNOWFALL WILL THEN TURN HEAVY LATER IN THE DAY MONDAY WITH LITTLE LET-UP THROUGH THURSDAY....

LATEST HPC SIERRA SNOWFALL ESTIMATES ARE IN THE 8 T0 12 FOOT RANGE OVER THE CREST BY THURSDAY AM. CUT THAT IN HALF AND THAT'S WHATS POSSIBLE FOR THE TOWN OF MAMMOTH NEAR THE VILLAGE. (4 TO 6 FEET)"

peninsula

by peninsula » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:45 am

The rain began about three hours ago, arriving behind schedule. Three-quarters of an inch thus far. I'm figuring a two-inch storm total by morning. Exciting weather... I'm taking photos of my drive-way creek from yesterday through the end. I'm expecting heavy flow by the week's end!

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:35 am

peninsula wrote:

They are calling for over 20 inches in my mountain neighborhood! Never anything of this magnitude has occurred in my 8 years living in the region. I have a small creek going under a bridge in my driveway, it is dry most of the year. I am told it ran year-round during the wet years spanning the late 70's and early 80's. The longest it has run in the two years I have had this particular property was three months of 07-08. Last season, it ran for only 3 days! I'm shooting some photos of it starting tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to see how high it flows by the end of the week. This could be one of those "100-year floods". Southern CA is in for a heavy dose of Mother Nature.

We will see.......

peninsula wrote:The rain began about three hours ago, arriving behind schedule. Three-quarters of an inch thus far. I'm figuring a two-inch storm total by morning. Exciting weather... I'm taking photos of my drive-way creek from yesterday through the end. I'm expecting heavy flow by the week's end!

So this is still not the storm of the century, as predicted. :roll:

I do not understand the weather predicting as "sensationalism"......

the storm coming through Moorpark is pretty normal, for a hard storm, but nothing like
the worst of what I have witnessed in the past.

oh yea..... to bad about Chargers. They do belong to SD. To move them would be a crime.
:wink:

peninsula

by peninsula » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:55 am

Guyzo wrote:So this is still not the storm of the century, as predicted. :roll:

I do not understand the weather predicting as "sensationalism"......

the storm coming through Moorpark is pretty normal, for a hard storm, but nothing like
the worst of what I have witnessed in the past.

oh yea..... to bad about Chargers. They do belong to SD. To move them would be a crime.
:wink:

Looks like the Chargers and the storm kind of petered out... double bummer. More around the corner, we'll see soon enough how much.

Thanks for the condolences.

Sheets

by Sheets » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 am

Great skiing today....I just wish I didn't pay for it with my car. Stupid drivers...

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:36 am

jhodlof wrote:Image
Are folks looking at this product? These are some damn impressive forecast totals.

2 inches here in Henderson? I guess I can turn off the irrigation timer for the drip lines to my saguaros, Joshua tree, and miscellaneous opuntia this week. :D

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:19 am

butitsadryheat wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:2 inches here in Henderson? I guess I can turn off the irrigation timer for the drip lines to my saguaros, Joshua tree, and miscellaneous opuntia this week. :D

For awhile anyway! :D That's about half of your annual rainfall, isn't it?

Yes, close to half of the long-term annual average of about 4.5". There are some years where we get less than 2" for the entire year, recently including 2009, 2006, and 2002.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/vef/climate/page15.php

So it's interesting when we get that much in a couple of days. But that's how it is at 2100 feet in this part of the Mojave Desert -- long periods of dry weather punctuated by occasional rain, sometimes in heavy storms.

It's definitely not Michigan anymore.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Day, how much did you get in Henderson?

I am going to be in Phoenix this weekend. What do you think will happen, weather wise?

My experience is so cal gets these storms, but once you drive past palm springs..... it's sunshine on my shoulders.

PreviousNext

Return to California