Dolomites walking -- snow

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
JD

Dolomites walking -- snow

by JD » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:45 am

How is the snow pack looking so far this year in the Dolomites?

Is it likely to be an issue for walking either Alta Via 1 or 2 in the last half of June?

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Dolomites walking -- snow

by rgg » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Obviously the second half of June is still several months away, so how it will be this year is impossible to predict. With that out of the way, I've been all over the Alps from June till September (as well as in winter), and while there is usually some lingering snow high up in Dolomites by the end of June, in a typical year there isn't all that much of it below 3000 m or so and these hiking routes are well below that.

Every year is different though. In 2012 I was in the Italian Alps (well west of the Dolomites, by the way) in the second half of June and found that the snow level was as low as 2300 m, and on a cold morning I actually needed crampons on what would normally be an easy hiking route! It all depends on the temperatures and fresh dumps of snow during (late) spring.

Check out this album and you see what I mean. Lago del Sabbione is at around 2450 m, and this was the last week of June. For the record: the highest peaks around the lake are still glaciated, so it's normal that they have snow, but around the lake itself there is usually little or no snow left by the end of June. 2012 was very unusual though...

Early morning at Lago del Sabbione

no avatar
JD

by JD » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:04 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not really familiar with the Alps. Here in California it is generally possible by the end of March to have a pretty good idea of the range of possible snow outcomes for the mountains. While an exact prediction can't be made -- and there is always the possibility of really weird weather -- I think it's safe to say at this point that 2016 isn't going to be a big snow year in the High Sierra. Is it really too soon to make a similar educated guess in the Dolomites?

Can you suggest a way to track the snow conditions? Maybe a local ski resort report?

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:01 pm

JD wrote:Is it really too soon to make a similar educated guess in the Dolomites?

I'm afraid that it is. Virtually all the ski resorts in the Alps are in full swing until Easter at least. When they close for the season depends on the snow conditions locally. But the amount of snow that falls in winter is only one small factor determining what there will be by the end of spring. The conditions by the second half of June very much depend on the temperatures during the spring and on any new snow that might fall. If temperatures in the valleys hit 30 (celcius, that is), snow melts very rapidly, even high up in the mountains and just a couple of weeks can make a massive difference. And such a heat wave by the end of May or early June is quite possible. On the other hand, if it stays cool, the old snow just stays put, and if a bad weather system moves in there can even be a build up.

Whenever I plan to go to the Alps, I don't bother to check out the weather or snow conditions until perhaps a week or two before my departure. Regardless of the conditions, I know that there is always plenty to do out there; I simply adjust my plans to fit the conditions. I rather like being above the tree line, but when the weather isn't good enough for it, I'll stay a bit lower. In the Dolomites it's not a bad idea to bring a via ferrata kit; there are loads of routes in all difficulties. Provided that it's dry and there is no threat of lightning, I like to climb those from time to time. Since I like glaciated mountains as well, I always pack gear for that whenever I go to the Alps. In the Dolomites there are just a few glaciers, but when you get around a bit more there are plenty of opportunities. And so, when I then find out locally that there is a lot more snow than usual, well, I can still go for a hike but I'll pack crampons and ice axe.

By the way, that Lago del Sabbione trip I mentioned earlier was in 2013, not in 2012. The snow in June of 2012 was in fact fairly normal. By mid June that year I was on the north side of the Alps, in Austria and Liechtenstein. North facing slopes still had a decent amount of snow. I used crampons once or twice, but only because it was easier; I could have gotten by without them. It was hot in that period and the snow melted rapidly. In the last week of June I hiked and climbed a bunch of 3000-ers in Austria, and didn't need crampons anywhere anymore.

As for web sites, out of the myriad of choices I've selected two that might interest you.

The eastern center of the Dolomites is Cortina d'Ampezzo. I spent a couple of weeks in that area late last summer, so obviously there was no old snow anymore. I did day hikes, vie ferrate and rock climbing.

Right at the northern edge of the Dolomites, the Kronplatz region is something to look at. Kronplatz is a mountain as well as the name of all the ski areas around Bruneck/Brunico. The mountain itself is best avoided in summer, though there are a lot of other nearby mountains that make for interesting hiking or climbing goals, both in the Dolomites and to the north. A couple of years ago I really enjoyed spending time in the Rieserferner Group, mostly hiking, with a little scrambling thrown in.

Ciao, Rob

no avatar
JD

by JD » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of waiting until a week or two beforehand to decide whether or not to go. Booking of flights, hotels and the huts require planning well in advance. So we'll just see what happens and, in the worst case, find some other walking or activity to keep us interested. Having never been there I'm sure we won't lack for things to do.

Looking at historical snowfall data for the ski resort in Alta Badia it appears that after the end of March snow is much less likely. This seems a lot like California. Granted, the relative warmth of Spring has an effect on how long the snow lingers but at least I get the sense that it isn't too likely that 2016 will be a record snow year in the Dolomites.

Here in California it's been way too warm even in winter and the snow is melting like crazy, which makes me sad... I wish for the snow to stay here and wish for it to melt in Italy. :o)

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:12 am

I will go to northern Italy in June, too. I have had a wonderful June vacation in the Dolomites in 2012 when the snow, which fell by the start of June melted away in days and opened up all routes. Mountain huts were still closed and prepared for opening in July, which is why I'm not sure the idea of trekking one or both of the alte vie is a viable one. I'll go to the north of Lago di Garda where the mountains are around 2000m and there's an option to go to the Piccoli Dolomiti in the east or even the Brenta Group up north. Still, I rather plan for the lower summits.

Another option for you would be to stay at some of the logistical centers in the basisns. Cortina comes to mind, also Val Gardena, Val di Fassa, Agordo. You can circle the area and thanks to the compactness of the Dolomites you'll get around far enough. Also staying barely outside the Dolomites will give you easier hikes with wonderful views. I stayed near Bozen / Bolzano in June 2011. We still had snow but the southern summits of the Sarntal Alps were manageable with wonderful views towards the western Dolomites.

Bruneck or Toblach / Dobbiaco in Val Pusteria in the north are also good options thanks to several scenic ridge traverses (Toblacher Höhenweg, Karnischer Höhenweg). Plus - there is good public transport in Val Pusteria. And if conditions are good enough for the Alte Vie - Alta Via 1 starts at Pragser Wildsee near Toblach. So you don't lose that option...

Plus everything Rob said :-)

no avatar
JD

by JD » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:16 pm

Gangolf Haub wrote:Mountain huts were still closed and prepared for opening in July, which is why I'm not sure the idea of trekking one or both of the alte vie is a viable one.

My understanding is that the huts usually open around mid-June. I've seen trip reports from people who have done it in the second half of June. But since conditions vary there is some risk that they will still be closed then.

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:10 am

Since Alta Via 1 & 2 are very popular, most likely those huts will be open earlier than others. But back in 2012 I witnessed food and beer crates being ferried up to the huts on Bindelweg, which is one of the most popular hikes in the whole Dolomites. All huts were still closed there in late June.

On the other hand there are quite a number of websites dedicated to the search of mountain huts. The one by the Austrian Alpine Club has an English translation (at least partly):

http://www.alpenverein.at/huetten-en/finder.php

Search for mountain range "Dolomiten" and you'll get a list. Drill into the details and you'll get the opening times in a curious mix of languages:

Bewirtschaftet (managed, meaning not self-served)
summer Ende Juni bis Ende September

Hope that helps

Return to Europe