easy mountains Jan/Feb

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
DanTheMan

easy mountains Jan/Feb

by DanTheMan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:49 am

I was planning a trip to Aconcagua with the girlfriend for February, but we've had second thoughts after reading about the crowding, base camp conditions, and the increase in permit fees this year. We are looking for anything relatively easy (not requiring a rope) anywhere in South America. Any suggestions? I don't mind doing more trekking and camping that climbing if it's still a fun experience.

Cordon Del Plata seems promising.

Australopitecus

Re: easy mountains Jan/Feb

by Australopitecus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:39 pm

From santiago de Chile you have many options (lowcost) like Co. El Plomo, Vn. San Jose, Co Leoneras....etc..bye

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:53 pm

Patagonia/Torres del Paine reportedly has wonderful trekking opportunites.

AndyJB444

by AndyJB444 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:01 pm

There is some nice trekking in the mountains outside of Bariloche, Arg...Pico Turista, etc. You could do a hut to hut trip there as well...

no avatar
DanTheMan

by DanTheMan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Maybe I phrased that a bit poorly, I meant that the location doesn't have to have a parking lot or a mule train to base camp. Trekking/hiking in addition to climbing mountains. The main goal is still mountains. We are already kitted out for Aconcagua. We're looking to get some experience at higher altitudes 5000m+.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:23 am

There's a good page for Mercedario here on SP, looks great, always meant to get there, but not yet. Normal route looks straightforward enough, much like Aconcagua normal route, but far (far) less people. That said, when we summited Aco this last Feb, there was only one other pair at Berlin one night, then on summit day we were alone for most of it (climbing at night from Nido, no Berlin) only seeing people on the way down. Depending how and when you do it, Aco may not be that crowded, and we just ignored everyone else anyway.

Last Feb I was also in the Cordon del Plata - also has a good page here on SP - and it's a great area for acclimatisation, particularly pre-February when there's a bit more snow around. Get a taxi out of Mendoza for around 90 min driving, up to around 3400m, for about US$60.

I've also climbed Volcan Maipo, which can be done in several days from Mendoza - nice area, easy route, good for acclimatising.

Tupungato is also reputedly easy, at least from the Chilean side, but the permit/border issue might be a hassle. If I was to try that red-tape I'd do it for Ojos del Salada or one of the other big Atacama peaks. Also good pages here in SP.

Return to South America