Four Months in Patagonia

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
ridgegirl

Four Months in Patagonia

by ridgegirl » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:35 pm

I am going to Argentina for four months starting in January to study lizards. I will be staying in Puerto Madryn for most of the time but will have free time to travel during January and for a couple weeks in April. I am planning on spending some time traveling around down south and seeing Fitz Roy and hopefully Tierra del Fuego. What can I not afford to miss or not do while I am in Argentina? Any suggestions are welcome!

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Aconcagua is the highest point in South America. The standard route is just a walk up, albeit very high, and worth consideration. Hope you have a great experience while you're down there!

Deb

Re: Four Months in Patagonia

by Deb » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:35 pm

ridgegirl wrote:I am going to Argentina for four months starting in January to study lizards.

Oh I am jealous now! I loooove lizards! My husband Dave and I are headed to Argentina in January as well, we'll be getting drug over glaciers by a guide though. I think he might let us have one day off to rest in El Chalten. Where will you be spending most of your off-time?

ridgegirl

Re: Four Months in Patagonia

by ridgegirl » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:52 pm

Deb wrote:
ridgegirl wrote:I am going to Argentina for four months starting in January to study lizards.

Where will you be spending most of your off-time?

I am having a real hard time deciding that. I probably won't be in one place for most of my off-time because I want to see different areas. That is why I am wanting some advice.

Have fun on your trip! There are worse things than being dragged across glaciers! :D

Andino

by Andino » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:23 pm

I travelled twice in Argentina (almost 2 months in total) and what I would suggest you not to miss above all :

-> Fitz Roy area (at least 3 days)
-> El Calafate to see the glaciers (Perito Moreno among others - 2 days)
-> Torres del Paine in Chile (at least 5 days - near Puerto Natales, south of El Calafate)
-> Iguazu Falls (border with Brazil and Paraguay - 2 days are enough)

Then you could also visit :

-> Aconcagua National Park (3-day hike to Plaza Francia to see the huge South Face)
-> Hang around the Lake District (near Bariloche - the closest entertainment from Puerto Madryn) to hike around lakes and snow-capped volcanoes ; and ascend Volcan Lanin (4-7 days in the area)
-> Puna de Atacama (in the Catamarca region - a week at least) is an impressive high plateau with several 6000m volcanoes to ascend. Very few people. Outstanding landscapes.
-> North West Argentina from Tucuman to Salta and Humahuaca (splendid colorful landscape with wide "sort-of" canyons - a week at least)
-> and if you have enough money, go to Easter Island (from Santiago de Chile - 4 days)

For most of the things I describe here you will find pages or albums about it. I intend to write about NorthWest argentina and the Argentinian side of Puna de Atacama. Will let you know if you want. In the meantime, you can send me a PM if you need detailled information.
Cheers,
antoine
Last edited by Andino on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

supermarmot

by supermarmot » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:26 pm

hey ridge girl--you might get in touch with my friend adam. he just left for patagonia on the 12th and will be there six months. he is 'agreenstreet' here on SP, but PM me if you want his e-mail address.

paisajeroamericano

by paisajeroamericano » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:08 am

go to el calafate/fitzroy/torres del paine - that whole area is incredible - bariloche sounds like a cool spot too - i'm headed there at some point after the new year

The Defiant One

by The Defiant One » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:30 am

everyone has given great suggestions. i don't know if you like big cities, but Buenos Aires is one of the coolest cities in the world. sort of like the Paris of South America. if you do go to BA, look into renting an apartment near Recoleta (instead of hotel/hostel) .

no matter what, you'll have a killer time down there. awesome country.

cheers.

ridgegirl

by ridgegirl » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:18 pm

Thanks for all the great ideas! I am very excited! When I first started planning this last spring I thought of fitting Aconcagua in, but it isn't going to pan out on this go-around. It gives me a really good excuse to go back again latter. :D

Myzantrope: I am busy looking at all the pages for those places. They look awesome! Thanks.

paisajeroamericano: Thanks for the ideas. Have a great time on your trip.

The Defiant One: I hadn't given much thought to Buenos Aires before, but it sounds like I might want to. Thanks for the idea!

paisajeroamericano

by paisajeroamericano » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:25 am

if you are going to buenos aires, you should consider checking out uruguay as well - montevideo is about 8 hours from buenos aires, but i've heard the best beaches are a bit closer to brazil - not necessarily a ton to see there, but culturally it is a very hip place and the people are super-friendly - i'm hoping to make it there for carnival one of these years, but we'll see what happens...

Andino

by Andino » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:32 am

ridgegirl wrote:Thanks for all the great ideas! I am very excited! When I first started planning this last spring I thought of fitting Aconcagua in, but it isn't going to pan out on this go-around. It gives me a really good excuse to go back again latter. :D

Climbing Aconcagua will require 3 weeks from you for training, acclimatization, summit attempt etc... In 3 weeks time you could visit a lot of things. Note that Patagonia and Lake District are in low altitude, so no time needed for acclimatization :wink:

ridgegirl wrote: The Defiant One: I hadn't given much thought to Buenos Aires before, but it sounds like I might want to. Thanks for the idea!

People usually like Buenos Aires. But when you Paris or Barcelona you might be disappointed. This was our case. I'm not saying not to go. But Argentina will overwhelm you with nature beauty, so going to a big town like this might be a shock. Large avenues, big buildings, cars etc... Yet, if you do go, try to be there on Sunday to see Tango dancers on Plaza Doreago (San Telmo district). And if you decide to visit the Iguazu Falls (the largest on Earth) Buenos Aires is on the way.

A good bus service throughout Argentina, with online booking is : Andesmar

olepat

FitzRoy - Carretera Austral with Sidetrips

by olepat » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:45 am

Hello, I can only add after all that nice advice: FitzRoy is v nice to see, and you can even hike over a pass into Chile, and continue the Carretera Austral North. Do sidetrips, there are many glaciers, unclimbed peaks, beutiful waterways to explore. you could then go back to Argentina either close to a town called Coyhaique, or follow the "wild" carretera Austral even more north, and jump over to Chiloe and Pueto Montt.
Have a lot of Fun (we always do).
:Dlepat

Andino

Re: FitzRoy - Carretera Austral with Sidetrips

by Andino » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:57 am

olepat wrote:Hello, I can only add after all that nice advice: FitzRoy is v nice to see, and you can even hike over a pass into Chile, and continue the Carretera Austral North. Do sidetrips, there are many glaciers, unclimbed peaks, beutiful waterways to explore. you could then go back to Argentina either close to a town called Coyhaique, or follow the "wild" carretera Austral even more north, and jump over to Chiloe and Pueto Montt.
Have a lot of Fun (we always do).
:Dlepat

Carreteral Austral is indeed fantastic. If you go there don't miss the Cordillera Castillo and Parque Pumalin.
Isla Chiloe is indeed nice but you really have to go at the right as it is very rainy.

Return to South America