Front Range Trailhead Access for 2WD car?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
cdgraves

Front Range Trailhead Access for 2WD car?

by cdgraves » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:29 pm

Now that the snow is finally melting from Indian Peaks and Mt Evans areas, I'm itching to get back into my favorite wilderness areas. The problem I've run into every year, though, is my car. I have a regular old 2 WD Maza 3. I've taken it up Fourth of July a number of time, though this last time I knocked few rocks out of the dirt. I love Indian Peaks, but this seems to be about the only wilderness trailhead I can get to in my car. I've also been to the Tanglewood trailhead in Harrison Park, but that was really pushing it. I want to check out others, but I fear getting up to a place that needs clearance of 4WD without being able to turn around.

So what are some good Front Range area wilderness trailheads that a 2 WD car can get to? I know of Guanella Pass trails, Ben Tyler, Moffat, Fourth of July, and Long's Peak south of RMNP, but I've had trouble finding others that I could get to reliably.

no avatar
MtnHermit

by MtnHermit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Consider the top of the Poudre. While small, I've enjoyed the Neota Wilderness for its solitude and general lack of trails, with open timber hiking. The drive up SH14 is as sweet a meander as any canyon in Colo. Neota is accessed from the Long Draw road, 2WD.

I use the Above the Timber GPS maps because they show wilderness in a different color from forest to find new hikes. They open in my PC for casual trip planning. BTW, the same maps do not give a good 2/4WD distinction, only that all roads are included.

Niederbayer

by Niederbayer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:43 pm

all trail heads to the southeast of Mount Evans - Deer Creek etc - basically all in hte Lost Creek Wilderness - can actually think of very few trailheads in the Front Range where you would absolutlely need a 4 x 4 -

Return to Colorado