Newbs in Front Range

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
atomiccows1

Newbs in Front Range

by atomiccows1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Hey all,

I'm going to be in Denver for an extended weekend in January. My climbing partner and I were looking at doing a two day hike in the Front Range outside of Denver, a day of rest/skiing, and then an attempt at Torreys and Grays peak in a day.

What are the locals thoughts on this? Also, what are common winter conditions like in the Front range in January say at 8-10,000 feet?

Thanks!

atomiccows1

Re: Newbs in Front Range

by atomiccows1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Additionally, if anyone has recommendations for a non-technical two day hike, with a summit or two in the 12-13er range I would love to hear them.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:25 pm

atomiccows1 wrote:Hey all,

I'm going to be in Denver for an extended weekend in January. My climbing partner and I were looking at doing a two day hike in the Front Range outside of Denver, a day of rest/skiing, and then an attempt at Torreys and Grays peak in a day.

What are the locals thoughts on this? Also, what are common winter conditions like in the Front range in January say at 8-10,000 feet?

Thanks!

People do climb Grays and Torreys regularly in the winter. I may do so myself in the next few weeks, if time and conditions allows.

A few considerations:

1) The road up to the summer trailhead is not maintained in winter, and will likely be impassable. This adds a little over 2 miles each way, and 1000 feet of gain to your day.

2) As in many areas in Colorado in winter, avalanche danger is a serious concern. This season we've had a persistent (i.e. buried) weak layer form from early-season snow, which can be like a time bomb for large and unpredictable slab avalanches. Most of the route up those peaks should be fairly avalanche-safe, but if you plan to do Grays and then Torreys and then return without climbing Grays again, you may be forced to cross a potentially avy-prone slope. Thus, be prepared to assess the conditions and, if need be, return via the safer ridge route over the summit of Grays.

As for conditions at 8-10K, it really depends on what happens between now and then. At the moments there is anywhere from 1-3 feet of snow at those elevations in the Front Range, depending on location. Temperatures are quite cold (as they are everywhere) with lows well below zero, but this is because of a major cold snap, which will end soon. Normally it's not quite as cold, but it certainly can be at any time at 10K in January. On the positive side, sunny and calm days are quite common, and bad weather usually only happens every week or two, and usually doesn't last longer than a couple days.

Good luck!

Edited to add: you will likely want snowshoes or skis for the lower elevations, and crampons/ice axe for above treeline.

The following user would like to thank AlexeyD for this post
atomiccows1

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Forgot to mention: some time closer to your trip, check out www.14ers.com. Lots of useful info on there including route condition reports, route descriptions, maps, and trailhead access info. Also might want to check the Colorado Avalanche Information Center (https://avalanche.state.co.us/index.php) for updated avy and weather conditions.

The following user would like to thank AlexeyD for this post
atomiccows1

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:53 pm

How about doing Quandary and skiing Breck? The TH is easily accessible from the road to Alma which is plowed. Quandary is just a little south of Breckenridge before you get to Hoosier Pass.

Woodie

The following user would like to thank Woodie Hopper for this post
atomiccows1

atomiccows1

by atomiccows1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:18 am

Yeah, plans are still pretty in the air, but we've shifted sight to Quandary. We're thinking of doing a day of guided ice climbing as neither of us has experience on ice, but would like to start. As well as some skiing for sure.

I'll be coming from decent altitude, but my partner won't be (Kansas City). Would skiing at Breck be enough to help him acclimate? I know I usually start to suffer around 10k when I come from the flatlands, but I don't know his tolerance to altitude.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:17 pm

atomiccows1 wrote:Would skiing at Breck be enough to help him acclimate?

It should definitely help. Most skiing in CO, Breck included, happens between about 10 and 12K, which is plenty for acclimatization purposes. Also, any ice climbing you do will also probably be at decent elevation, so that should help too.

Tonka

by Tonka » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:20 am

Here are a couple more options: Stay in Dillon at the BEST WESTERN Ptarmigan Lodge, decent hotel with free breakfast and no where near as expensive as Breck. You can then ski A-Basin and be close to multiple climbs and ski destinations. You also have the Arapahoe Cafe right across the parking lot which is a great restaurant with a fun dive bar downstairs. When they get the smoker going outside you gotta get the briskit...mmmm.

Tonka

by Tonka » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:26 am

Here is the winter route on Quandry.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
AlexeyD

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:12 am

Tonka wrote:Here is the winter route on Quandry.

Out of curiosity, is that a recent image?

Tonka

by Tonka » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:28 am

No, not from this year.

Fletch

by Fletch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:37 pm

atomiccows1 wrote:What are the locals thoughts on this?

I've been here almost 5 years and I still don't think of myself as a local, but I've done the Greys/Torreys hike in January so I guess I can comment.

First, (especially if the weather is nice), you will not be alone. It's an all day hike up and back from I-25. Give yourself lots of time and start as early as you can. If you can get a rental car up the road, consider yourself lucky, but I would plan on hiking the whole road (likely in snowshoes). That time of year Dead Dog and some of the other couloirs will be dicey, so I presume you'll head up the standard route (very little, if any, avy danger --- from my recollection, the only avy danger on the whole route is next to Kelso on the way up --- just pay attention, its not that bad).

Anyway, it should be a cold and long day with plenty of vertical. If you chose to get both peaks, be prepared for windy conditions up top. All in all, a great day, but if the weather is anything less than bluebird, its a bit of a sufferfest.

Quandary in the winter is great too, but again, you won't be alone and it too is a bit of a sufferfest if the weather turns, but not nearly as long of a day. I'm 1 for 4 on winter attempts on Quandary, but I wasn't pushing that hard. Good luck and give yourself an acclimitization day if you can...

EDIT: Just saw your later post --- OOPS --- Quandary should be fine for you guys... bring snowshoes, microspikes, and lots of warm clothing... very fun and relatively easy/straightforward. Unless there's a big storm the day before you sho up, there should be a trench all the way up... check 14ers.com for conditions update when you get closer.

Return to Colorado